Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I've had 3 disc surgeries (L4/L5) and one thumb surgery, the…

Customer Question
Hi Doctor, I've had...

Hi Doctor, I've had 3 disc surgeries (L4/L5) and one thumb surgery, the thumb being the most recent. Immediately following the first back surgery, I experienced leg cramps and night sweats. Only the night sweats went away during the winter months, then returned in the spring, summer and fall. Are there any remedies for these? I take salt multiple times per day and stretch during the night when I awaken to keep the leg cramps from occurring. Thank you! David L.

Doctor's Assistant: What seems to make the symptoms worse or better? Have you noticed any swelling?

No swelling--just night sweats and leg cramps.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I'm 67 and was in excellent health when I had to have the disc surgeries. No diabetes, no cancer.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Medical
11/23/2017
Doctor: Dr. Mo, Board Certified MD replied 8 months ago
Dr. Mo
Dr. Mo, Board Certified MD

Hi, Dr. Mo here with JA. Please let me review the information and I'll reply shortly.

Do you feel that the leg cramps got worse when you were less active than normal?

Do they happen as you're about to fall asleep or wake you up in the middle of the night?

Doctor: Dr. Mo, Board Certified MD replied 7 months ago

Did you still need help with this?