Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

My daughter is having upper torso pain between her rib cage…

Customer Question
My daughter is having...

My daughter is having upper torso pain between her rib cage she is experiencing soreness pain and it hursts breathing also glands are swollen and neck pains

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with the neck pain? Are you experiencing any numbness or tingling?

About 3 days and no numbness or tingling

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

She only has high cholesterol

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Medical
11/23/2017
Doctor: Dr. Sohaib, Doctor replied 6 months ago
Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib, Doctor

Hello and thank you for the question.
Answers given are for informational purposes only and are not meant to replace an exam by an in-person.
I am Dr. Sohaib, a practicing Internal Medicine Consultant and I will do my best to help you today.

I would like to get some more information regarding your symptoms to help you more efficiently.

Does she have fever with this?

Flu like symptoms like throat congestion, runny nose, cough?

I didn't get any reply therefore I am posting an answer for you;

It appears she is having a respiratory tract infection, which is most of the times viral in origin, but can also occur due to bacterial organisms (which need antibiotics for eradication).

Now as per standard guidelines, any chest pain (front or back) especially if associated with shortness of breath, needs to be evaluated ASAP.

In my opinion she needs a physical examination, and a CHEST RAY with some basic blood tests like CBC/CRP levels.

Chest x-ray will help diagnose if she has pneumonia or not, and will rule out any fluid build up around the lungs (which can happen with these infections).

Cumulative findings on physical examination, chest x-ray and blood test will decide if she needs a course of antibiotics, or just a symptomatic treatment.

At home, she can take Tylenol for pain.

Good hydration is always helpful.

Good luck

My goal is to provide you with Excellent Service - if satisfied with the response, Please do not forget to Rate my service as this is the only way i get credit for my time and expertise on your question.
If you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.
Kindest Regards.