Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

Whenever I move my upper body a certain way, the centre of…

Customer Question
Whenever I move my...

Whenever I move my upper body a certain way, the centre of my chest hurts. Sometimes my chest feels stiff, kind of like it needs to be cracked, and then i move my upper body that certain way and my chest bone cracks. I can both feel, and hear it.

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you had the pain? What seems to make the pain better or worse?

It's been a couple of months. It isn't constant pain, just if I've been trying to crack my chest a lot that day, it can become painful. But the reason I repeatedly try to crack it is because it feels as though it needs to be cracked.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Not that I can recall that is important to my situation.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Medical
11/23/2017
Doctor: Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor replied 6 months ago
Dr. Muneeb Ali

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. Im sorry to hear about your symptoms. Now from what you are describing it sounds like that you may have developed a condition which is known as costchondritis. This is a condition in which there is inflammation of the cartilages of the ribs. This would lead to the development of the symptoms that you have mentioned as well as pain in the chest, pain on deep breathing as well as coughing. It is also possible that you could have developed inflammation of the chest bone itself which is known as sternitis. This is a reltively rare condition and i think the likely possibility is that you have the costchondritis. In most cases the diagnosis is made with the help of a simple clinical examination and if needed it can be confirmed on a MRI. The treatment is usually with the help of anti inflammatory medications like ibuprofen at a dose of 600-800 mg thrice a day. if that does not help then you can be started on a short course of steroids or even steroid injections.

Another possibility is is that of slipping rib syndrome. Slipping rib syndrome occurs when the cartilage on a person’s lower ribs slips and moves, leading to pain in their chest or upper abdomen. Slipping rib syndrome goes by many names, including clicking rib, displaced ribs, rib tip syndrome, nerve nipping, painful rib syndrome, and interchondral subluxation, among others. The exact cause of slipping rib syndrome isn’t well understood. Slipping rib syndrome might occur after a trauma, injury, or surgery, but cases have been reported without any notable injuries. It’s believed to be a result of hypermobility of the rib cartilage (costochondral) or ligaments, particularly ribs 8, 9, and 10. These three ribs aren’t connected to the sternum, but rather connected to each other by loose fibrous tissue. There’s a test called the hooking maneuver that helps diagnose slipping rib syndrome. To perform this test, your doctor hooks their fingers under the rib margins and moves them upward and back. If this test is positive and causes the same discomfort, then your doctor usually won’t need to do any additional tests such as an X-ray or MRI scan. Its can be treated with various measures including anti inflammatory medications and also steroid injections.

I would suggest that you start the anti inflammatory medications and at the same time get evaluated by visiting your doctor.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Would you like to know anything else? Any clarifications or additional questions that you might have, i would be happy to answer them for you. If done for now, please remember to leave a positive rating as that is the only way we are compensated for our time spent helping you. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the rating.