Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

Having trouble motivating exercise .. in country home kids 5…

Customer Question
Having trouble motivating exercise...

Having trouble motivating exercise .. in country home kids 5 hours away (adult) want to push myself into exercise program to help my mental state.. just loneliness.. bit sad .. cant push myself..

Doctor's Assistant: How is your mood? Are you experiencing regular sleep disturbances (e.g. trouble falling asleep, waking up early)?

All under control.. my doctor is great help, and I am sorting all out.. just motivation

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the Psychologist should know?

Happy marriage, husband working 10 to 12n hours a day, country tiny town, not that friendly very clicky.. just lonely .. thought exercising would help .. but i talk myself out of it asll the time

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Medical
11/23/2017
Doctor: Dr Subbanna MD, Neurologist (MD) replied 4 months ago
Dr Subbanna MD
Dr Subbanna MD, Neurologist (MD)

Hi, I am an American Board Certified Neurologist with vast experience in diagnosing & treating all neurological as well as all other health/medical conditions, and I am very glad to help you with your health concerns.

I see you have been having issues towards motivating yourself for doing exercises. As a neurologist I am very familiar with this type of situation and I can certainly help you in this regard.

As we all know daily exercises are crucial in maintaining optimum health, especially towards keeping the blood pressure, blood sugar, and cholesterol etc under control, and reduce the risk of developing heart attack, strokes etc in the future. Exercise also helps in improving the overall physical and mental well-being of an individual.

So there are multiple benefits of doing daily exercises, but I see you have been having issues with keeping yourself motivated to do exercises

In these circumstances what you may try to do is to use some supplements that enhance dopamine neurotransmission in the brain, and these can help you.

Please see Dopamine is an essential neurotransmitter (neurochemical) present in the brain, and this is the main neurotransmitter that keeps us motivated, productive, and engaged with life.

If for some reason there is deficiency of dopamine neurotransmitter in the brain then it can manifest as lack or reduced levels of motivation

So you may try to improve dopamine neurotransmission in the brain.

Dopamine supplements provide a safe, healthy, and easy way to optimize your dopamine level and get the most out of life.

What I will try to do is provide you with a list of supplements or natural products that provide dopamine and/or that increase the dopamine neurotransmission in the brain, and you may consider trying these supplements.

This is a list of various supplements that either provide dopamine and/or increase dopamine neurotransmission in the brain;

SAMe (S Adenosyl Methionine)

Omega 3 Fatty acids

Vitamin D supplements

Magnesium supplements

L Theanine

Tyrosine (or L Tyrosine)

Mucuna Pruriens

CDP Choline (Citicoline)

Phosphatidylserine

Ginkgo Biloba

Bacopa Monnieri

Rhodiola rosea

Panax ginseng

Origanum vulgare

Berberine

Resveratrol etc

The above are the various dopaminergic supplements to consider, but please see I am not telling all these above mentioned supplements are required in your case; I am just trying to provide a list of the various treatment options like this so that you are familiar with various available supplements that can help increasing dopamine activity in the brain and help in improving the motivation, and you may try to use these supplements as necessary. And if you see any of the above supplements you have already tried please disregard them and you may explore the supplements which you may have not yet tried. Generally people start a combination of the first 4 supplements that are mentioned above, and then if necessary they may add one or more remaining supplements from the above list. These are herbal and natural supplements and lots of people use these supplements on regular basis and no serious or major adverse reactions or side effects or drug interactions etc are encountered during the use of these types of supplements.

Once again, it might be insufficient dopamine neurotransmission in the brain that is causing the lack of motivation in you to do exercises and you may consider trying some of the nutritional supplements mentioned above and these can improve the dopamine activity in the brain resulting in improving the level of motivation to do exercises.

I earnestly hope you find the above information & list of supplements helpful.

Wishing you the best health!

All the very best!

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or if you want to discuss this further.

Assuring you the best services!

Best Regards!

Dr Subbanna MD

Hi, have you received the answer I have posted above, and have you had a chance to go through the above answer?

Do you have any additional health questions? Do you want to discuss this further (Re: Issue of inability to self motivate to do exercises) ? Please let me know and I am available here.

Assuring you the best services!

Best Regards!

Dr Subbanna MD

Dr Subbanna MD
Dr Subbanna MD
Dr Subbanna MD, Neurologist (MD)