Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have a history of OCD and have trouble determining what…

I have a long history...
I have a long history of OCD and have trouble determining what are reasonable worries about HIV infection.The following has caused me an extraordinary amount of worry and I would like to know if it is necessary or not.I recently went to my girlfriend's family home for an extended gathering of her close, and extended, family. There were a number of people in attendance including her brothers, sisters, cousins, and everyones various spouses. These people were mostly strangers me and I know nothing of their various medical histories.While staying at the home, these numerous individuals shared a primary bathroom. I noticed that several used the bathroom and then did not wash their hands before handling and consuming food. I also ate this food on occasions after they did not wash their hands following a bathroom visit.In addition, I noticed that on one occasion after going to the bathroom my girlfriend returned with a wet spot on the backseat of her pants. Now while this spot was likely from her, I have become concerned that it may have been from something left on the toilet or in the bathroom by one of the other guests (urine, semen, etc).
Upon returning from the bathroom, with this wet spot, she sat on my lap. While sitting on my lap this spot would have come into contact with my clothes, wallet, car keys, etc.Assuming the worst case scenario that one or more of the people staying at the home had HIV, (a) Could I or my girlfriend have contracted HIV from eating food after they did not wash their hands following a bathroom visit, (b)
Could I, or my girlfriend, have contracted HIV if the wet spot on her clothing was from an infected person and it came in contact with our mouths, genitals, hands which then touched a mouth, an open cut/wound, etc, (c) Are the items that may have touched the wet spot contaminated (wallet, keys, clothes) and could they potentially spread HIV (d) Do I need to get tested for HIV, (e) Should I be concerned that I could potentially infect people with HIV, and do I need to take any precautions to avoid this?Finally, is it accurate to say that I do not need to be concerned about contracting HIV unless one of the following occurs (a) an unprotected sexual encounter, (b) intravenous drug use with shared needles, or (c) a blood transfusion?I appreciate your time. Thank you.
11/23/2017
Doctor John MD
Doctor John MD, Board Certified MD

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer.com

This is Dr. John and I will be helping you today.

I will be reviewing your question and will respond shortly.

I may need to ask a few more questions in order to best serve you.

Thank you for your patience.

Answers here are for education and information only.

HIV does not survive very long outside the body, so there would be no risk of you contracting HIV even if the fluid was from someone that was HIV positive.

You are also correct that HIV is transmitted thru sexual fluids or blood, so again, zero risk to you.

Does that help answer your question?

Doctor John MD
Doctor John MD, Board Certified MD
Doctor John MD
Doctor John MD
Doctor John MD, Board Certified MD