Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

I take luvox for depression which an SSRI as I'm sure you

Hello, I take luvox for...
Hello, I take luvox for depression which an SSRI as I'm sure you know, along with lamictal for my seizures. Recently, I stopped taking the luvox in a cold turkey sort of fasion, however, I am back on the luvox now. Am I at risk for a seizure if I do something like what I did? thanks!
11/23/2017
Doctor John MD
Doctor John MD, Board Certified MD

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer.com

This is Dr. John and I will be helping you today.

I will be reviewing your question and will respond shortly.

I may need to ask a few more questions in order to best serve you.

Thank you for your patience.

Answers here are for education and information only.

how much luvox were / are you taking?

Customer reply replied 21 days ago
300mg daily

would be rare to have a seizure from stopping abruptly. usually people have agitation, nausea, irritability and difficulty sleeping.

However, if you have a prior seizure history, it could potentially trigger one of your seizures.

Does that make sense?

Customer reply replied 21 days ago
also noteworthy that I am only taking 100 mg a day right now, getting back on it slowly

yes, would recommend tapering back up as well since it would be better tolerated.

Doctor John MD
Doctor John MD, Board Certified MD
Customer reply replied 21 days ago
Thanks so much for your answer. Yes, I do have prior siezure history...it was a dumb move and I'm just wondering what the repercussions could entail. Thanks for your five star help

You’re welcome and glad to be able to help you today!

Doctor John MD
Doctor John MD
Doctor John MD, Board Certified MD