Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I took a neurological urine test and a testosterone test…

Hello, I took a...

Hello, I took a neurological urine test and a testosterone test through zrt labs. My testosterone in my saliva was within normal range but in my blood was quite low. For the neuro test, my gabba was very high, my glutamate was low, and my DOPAC was low. They recommend taking dhea or taurine to reduce gabba and i had read that dhea can also increase my testosterone. Is this true and would it be considered safe? Thank you

Doctor's Assistant: Is this a time sensitive issue? What type of specimen are they testing?

They tested my urine for the neuro test and my blood and saliva or the testosterone

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I do suffer from social anxiety, public speaking to be specific.

The neuro test was a urine test and the testosterone test was blood and saliva. Not sure if that helps or not.
11/23/2017
Dr Subbanna MD
Dr Subbanna MD, Neurologist (MD)

Hi Sheila, I am an American Board Certified Neurologist with vast experience in diagnosing & treating all neurological as well as all other health/medical conditions, and I am very glad to help you with your health concerns.

I see you have concerns regarding using DHEA supplement. I am very familiar with this supplement and I can certainly help you in this regard.

I am currently preparing & typing my answer and I will post my answer here as soon as it is ready.

Best Regards!

Dr Subbanna MD

I am almost done with my typing; I will follow up with you very soon.

Best Regards!

Thank you. I appreciate it.

You are very welcome!

Best Regards!

Yes, you are correct, dhea can raise the testosterone levels in the blood.

As you may already know dhea is a hormone produced by our body's adrenal glands. These are glands just above our kidneys. DHEA supplements can also be made from wild yam or soy too.

DHEA mainly functions as a precursor to male and female sex hormones, including testosterone and estrogen.

So as you see it increases both estrogen and testosterone levels in the blood.

However dhea does not raise the levels too much so that one will start seeing untoward effects, rather it raises the levels of hormones such as testosterone only to a minor extent and this type of minor rise in testosterone level may actually benefit the both men and women.

Both men and women who use dhea supplement see their energy level, mental clarity, cognitive abilities etc improve.

This supplement produces an overall physical and mental well-being.

And it also helps with improving libido in both men and women.

And in women dhea can help with menopausal symptoms including hot flashes etc too

As you see overall this supplement is very beneficial and can help in varieties of ways

As long as you use small doses then the possibility of side effects is extremely low.

DHEA production peaks around age mid-20s, and in most people the production gradually declines with age, so taking small doses of dhea can actually help.

Once again to your main question, please see dhea can raise testosterone levels, but not to the extent so as to cause untoward effects, especially if you use this supplement at smaller doses then it can benefit you in varieties of ways as mentioned above.

Wishing you the best health!

All the very best!

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or if you want to discuss this further. And please take a moment and kindly click a positive rating (preferably 5 Star/Excellent) to credit for the time & effort put by me in answering your health question, and this is the only way I will be credited for my service to you. If you have follow-up or additional questions you can ask them after the rating too!

Assuring you the best services!

Best Regards!

Dr Subbanna MD

Hello, the neuro test also mention my gaba was high while glutamate and dopac were low, they recommended dhea for reducing my Gaba or taurine. Will it also help with that? If not can you recommended a supplement to bring down Gaba. If it would help i could give my exact numbers from the report. Sorry if my question wasn't worded properly. I had a testosterone test done and a neuro test done. The neuro test recommended dhea for bringing down gaba but while researching it i noticed it can also help raise my low testosterone.

Hi, I appreciate for this additional information; I am typing now and I will follow up with you at the earliest.

Best Regards!

Yes, it is correct, dhea can help in reducing gaba levels, so you can certainly try it for this purpose.

As I mentioned above the rise in testosterone level is only minor, so it should not cause any side effects, it at all you may see some benefits but not side effects, and dhea can help you in reducing the gaba levels, so you can consider using it for this purpose.

Thank you. I have one more question and its kind of embarrassing but it is why i did the test in the neuro test in the first place. Could the high gabba or low testosterone be a cause of premature ejaculation or would that be more psychological? This has been a life long condition that i have experienced, its possible it is trained behavior but i am curious if what i mentioned could cause it as well. Thank you again for you help and time.

You are very welcome! I am typing now and I will follow up with you very soon.

Best Regards!

Please see the gaba may not have anything much to do with premature ejaculation. But low testosterone level can do this. And many times premature ejaculation is secondary to psychological issues such as anxiety, stress etc, rather than having any real illnesses.

Ok. Can you recommend any supplement to help with that condition? I will start the dhea to see if it increases my testosterone to help with that but is there anything else you can recommend?
Also since my glutamate was also low. Will the dhea negatively impact that? They had recommended l-glutamine, should i also take that?

Please see dhea can help with low testosterone levels, it can raise the testosterone level and help with premature ejaculation too. So it if worth trying this.

Yohimbine is another supplement and it can help with premature ejaculation.

Yes, since glutamate level is found to be low so you may try l glutamine to increase glutamate levels.

And dhea should not have any negatively effect due to the low glutamate levels.

You may also consider trying the following supplements and these also may help with raising testosterone levels, and also can help with premature ejaculation;

L Arginine or arginine

Horny Goat Weed

Panax Ginseng

Ginkgo Biloba etc

And this otc combination supplement preparation too can be considered;

Boost Elite Testosterone Booster to increase Testosterone, Libido & Energy

The following are couple of additional supplements that can help in boosting testosterone levels & its effect;

Tribulus Terrestris

Fenugreek Extracts

Dr Subbanna MD
Dr Subbanna MD, Neurologist (MD)
Ok thank you again for answering all of my question and providing all the recommendations.I know you probably hear it a lot but i really appreciate it. Have a great rest of your night.

You are very welcome! My pleasure!

I appreciate the compliments too!

I earnestly hope the above information & treatment options will help you immensely!

Wishing you all the very best!

Thanks & Best Regards!

Dr Subbanna MD

Sorry i forgot to ask something. Is it ok to take the dhea with the boost elite since im trying to lower gaba and raise testosterone?

It is fine, no problems, please clarify if you have any doubts. Please see the above treatments (dhea, and boost elite etc) should not have any effect on gaba level or gaba related neurotransmission, however both the above mentioned supplements can help in raising testosterone levels. Since both can raise the testosterone levels, it may be better if you try just dhea first, it itself may give you sufficient testosterone effect, if it is not sufficient then you may add Boost Elite Testosterone Booster. However if you want very robust effect from the beginning then you may start taking both of them together.

ok thank you again

You are very welcome!

Im sorry i keep bothering you. This is my last question. I went to buy the DHEA and there is 50mg and 100mg. Which one would you recommend?

It is fine, no problems, please clarify if you have any doubts. It is better to start at the lower doses whenever any new medication or new supplement is started. So you may start with 50 mg and by about a week or so you will have experienced the maximum effect of this dose and then further dosing is adjusted depending upon the response to 50 mg preparation. It even comes as 25 mg preparation too, so starting with this dose is something to consider too. Since this is a new treatment, if possible it is better to start with the lower doses, and then as necessary and as tolerated the dose can be optimized further - if required. Most people start at 25 mg, some start at 50 mg, however most do not start with 100 mg per day, so you may start 25 mg to 50 mg per day.

ok thank you for your help

You are very welcome!