Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

My partner is a recovering cocaine addict and has to test at…

Customer Question
My partner is a...

My partner is a recovering cocaine addict and has to test at court regularly. Last week his first urine test seemed positive but there was a problem with the temperature and they retested and came out negative. Today he tested again and again it came out positive. He assures me ha hasnt used. He relapsed briefly in August and the signs were clear...I could tell. I dont see the symptoms now, so I believe him. He often tells me he suffers of kidney stones. I notice he has a lot of intestinal problems and often gets headaches and body aches. I read up that kidney and liver illness can cause a false positive. What should we do to find. out if there is another physical reason for his positives. Hecwss clean for two years before that relapse in August and when testef two weeks later it came out negative. Yet now when he is certain he hasnt used it is postive. Please advice.

Doctor's Assistant: Is the headache episodic or daily? And what about nausea?

Episodic.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

He often has diarrhea but no nausea that I know of

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Medical
11/23/2017
Doctor: Dr. Mo, Board Certified MD replied 8 months ago
Dr. Mo
Dr. Mo, Board Certified MD

Hi, Dr. Mo here with JA. Please let me review the information and I'll reply shortly.

Generally if a test comes out positive we either have the patient go get seen by a doctor to perform a serum test for cocaine or a confirmatory test for cocaine in the urine. Some labs will even keep the urine specimen and if positive send it for a confirmatory test which takes longer but ensures that the test isn't due to problems with the liver or kidney.