Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

My husband is in severe pain He has a really stiff neck and…

hi my husband is in...
hi my husband is in severe pain
He has a really stiff neck and cant move his head hardly at all he cant lay down or walk or anything without it really hurting him he went to the doctors his morning they gave him muscle relaxant tablets and some patches.. Told him if it doesn;t go within a few days they will send him for x ray
I just went to out another patch on him and asked him to tell me exacty where he said it was like the bottom of his skull so i just out my finger on it lightly to say here and he flinched and said it really hurt i honestly didnt even put any pressure on and i think it looked a bit inflammed he said sometimes it goes up to his ear ive never seen him like this before he is 65 and has heart problems any ideas ? I hate seeing him suffer like this
Thanks
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/23/2017

Hello. I'm Dr Chip
Thanks for your question and I'm reviewing it.
I'll be back in a moment with and answer or a request for more information

Sorry to hear about your husband

This sounds like a severe case of torticollis--neck muscle spasms

If he's in that much pain and can't see his doctor again I have to suggest he go to the emergency room where they can treat this with a cortisone injection, a tramadol injection, and some strong pain medications like hydrocodone

Please let me know if you need any more information

ok thanks i will let him know The doctor said he cant take any painkillers because of all the medication he is on including warfarin

That would be no NSAID pain medication like ibuprofen but he could take hydrocodone

Please click on the 5 star excellent rating icon so I can get credit for my time with you

also, his voice now sounds different like he has a sore throat but he says he doesnt

That's from the neck muscle spasm--he really needs the ER

ok thanks i will tell him

Let me know how it goes