Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

My brother-in-law has high blood pressure and is on

My brother-in-law has high...

My brother-in-law has high blood pressure and is on medication. However, he has periods of dizziness and he can't think clearly. He was admitted to the hospital and all tests came back normal except for the know high blood pressure. They did a "tilt" test and found that his blood pressure drops when standing so they started him on Midodrine which raises blood pressure. Should he be on a medication to lower his blood pressure AND on that raises it???

Doctor's Assistant: When was last time you had a check up? Is there a history of high blood pressure in your family?

Hi was just in the hospital and I don't know about his family history. That's not the point.

11/23/2017
DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician

Hi.
Welcome to just answer. I am here to answer questions for education and information. I will respond shortly with an answer, or a question for you

Midrodrine does not simply raise blood pressure, but in fact helps stablize the drops in blood pressure.

What did they actually diagnose him with, what type of autonomic dysfunction?

Don’t know. They told him the test results were “positive” which I assume means his BP dropped every time the bed cycled. I don’t know why it dropped though

OK

I do not do phone calls and did not suggest one. That was site automation which I have nothing to do with. It also tells me your payment failed, so let's continue here.

Just for information, there are other drug choices.

A beta blocker drug can not only control the blood pressure, but can stabilize the blood pressure drops.

That is what I would have done first, unless he is already on a beta blocker.

They also have to make sure he does not have sluggish adrenal glands.

In that cases, a specific type of steroid can help.

OK, let me know if you have more questions.

Also: Hopefully this helps and I have earned a 5 rating from you today. [This has to be clicked on the rating scale on your page.] A 5 rating specifically allows me to have full credit and continue my accurate service as well as providing follow up to you as needed, and it costs you nothing more. Thanks.

It did finally accept my payment

AS I said. I do not do phone calls. Site automation suggested that , not me.

Did you see my extensive answer above?

Do you have more questions.

Please let me know if you did not get the answer, or if you have more questions.

I did see your answer. Thoughtful and to the point with valuable info. We now know what to discuss with his Dr.

Thanks

Please click a 5 manually on the rating scale, so I will get full credit and pay.

Find me anytime.

DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician