Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

Explain to me what a dialated left ventricle in the brain…

Please explain to me...

Please explain to me what a dialated left ventricle in the brain means in a 29 week fetus?

Doctor's Assistant: What are all the symptoms you're experiencing (e.g. loss of appetite, fever, rash)?

No symptoms found on an ultrasound today..scheduled for MRI of baby in 2 wks. If this is a brain bleed what kind of things can I expect?

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

No totally normal pregnancy so far except age of mother is 12 yrs.10 months

Doctor's Assistant: Have you been keeping a personal medical record?

She is my granddaughter but yes pretty much

11/23/2017
DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician

Hi.
Welcome to just answer. I am here to answer questions for education and information. I will respond shortly with an answer, or a question for you

Ventricle is where the fluid collects normally in the brain.

There are also ventricles in heart.

Can you type in the report?

no I do not have the actual report. I do know that they tested her blood for virus exposure but it was not seen on the previous ultrasound one month ago. Could be a brain bleed of sorts if so what kind of issues will that present for the baby.

It would not be a bleed, typically.

The scan needs to be reviewed by a neonatal specialist.

It could simply be an extra large ventricle, within normal variance.

It could be a blockage to the ventricle emptying, in which case this could swell the brain. That can be fixed with a shunt.

It is unlikely to be this at this stage, but possible.

OK, let me know if you have more questions.

Also: Hopefully this helps and I have earned a 5 rating from you today. [This has to be clicked on the rating scale on your page.] A 5 rating specifically allows me to have full credit and continue my accurate service as well as providing follow up to you as needed, and it costs you nothing more. Thanks.

DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician