Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

Explain to me what a dialated left ventricle in the brain…

Customer Question
Please explain to me...

Please explain to me what a dialated left ventricle in the brain means in a 29 week fetus?

Doctor's Assistant: What are all the symptoms you're experiencing (e.g. loss of appetite, fever, rash)?

No symptoms found on an ultrasound today..scheduled for MRI of baby in 2 wks. If this is a brain bleed what kind of things can I expect?

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

No totally normal pregnancy so far except age of mother is 12 yrs.10 months

Doctor's Assistant: Have you been keeping a personal medical record?

She is my granddaughter but yes pretty much

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Medical
11/23/2017
Doctor: Richard Han, Board Certified MD replied 7 months ago
Richard Han
Richard Han, Board Certified MD

Hello and thank you for your question. My name is***** am a board-certified pediatrician with over 15 years of clinical experience and I am happy to help you. The ventricles of the brain are fluid filled spaces within the brain. By left ventricle, the test result is dealing with the left lateral ventricle which is the fluid filled hollow space of the left side of the brain cortex. It is not indicative of a brain bleed. Dilation of the ventricle suggests a potential blockage of fluid flow and drainage within the cerebrospinal fluid (CSF) pathway, or tract that brain fluid flows down. A prenatal ultrasound can pick this up but is not as detailed in looking for the cause of it as an MRI can be, which is why the doctors have scheduled that follow up test. Do you have any other specific questions I can answer?