Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

I have a growth on my right big toe. it's between the 2

I have a growth on...
I have a growth on my right big toe. it's between the 2 joints so i guess it's on the proximal phalanx. I sent a picture to my doctor, he said it's probably just a bunion and 50 percent of people have them I shouldn't worry as long as it doesn't hurt. From what i'm reading a bunion is on a joint and this is NOT on a joint so its concerning me. This is not a new bump by any means, I think it's been caused by my shoes it's just gotten progressively worse and i'm paranoid. Should i see a foot doctor and get it exrayed?
11/22/2017
Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor

Hello, my name is***** and I shall be assisting you today. I'm reviewing your query & will get back to you shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Actually, there is a joint there, called the metatarsophalangeal joint of the big toe and I understand that the lump may not be directly over the joint but bunions can sprout over the joint or adjacent to them depending on where they find the least resistance to come out from, so it could well be a bunion.

Now, every lump warrants a clinical evaluation, physical exam and an x ray, so I would suggest that you have this seen and x rayed for a better evaluation and a more conclusive diagnosis.

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!

Please let me know if you have followup questions.

Customer reply replied 21 days ago
HI!. So i just saw a doctor and she said it's a GANGLION CYST. She doesn't think i need to do anything about it, but we made an appointment for an orthopedist next week and Already got an xray done. I'm researching right now and it seems the only thing i can really do is aspirate it or remove it. But since it's not causing me any 'pain' it might just be best to leave it alone. What do u think?

Yes, ganglion cysts are benign swellings with no chance of them turning in to anything dangerous and they are only intervened with if they are causing pain, pressure or a cosmetic problem for the patient. If you think it is not bothersome at this point in time, you can leave it alone. At any point in the future, if you want to have this removed or aspirated, you can always choose to get that done.

Hope this helps.
Please do leave a positive rating for the service by clicking on the 5 stars on top of the screen.

Best wishes.

Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor