Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

My voice has become very raspybabf scratchy and I cannot

talk loud. I'm 74...
My voice has become very raspybabf scratchy and I cannot talk loud. I'm 74 yr old male. I have COPD and moderate acid refux. Take meds for both. Albuterol via nebulizer once/twice daily. Just started with Anoro inhaler last week. Take on alternate days, Pantoprazole 40mg and Zyrtec 150mg. The latter just started. I also use oxygen at night only. I'm also on Lantus & Novoloh insulins. Had 2 heart attacks few days aoamet in Mar 2014 and taking Metoprolol ER 100mg BID. Losarten 50ng QD, Atorvastatin 20mg QD, Furosemide 40mg BID, and Warfarin Sod. 2mg on M-W-F and 4mg other 4 days QD. Senokot as needed. Vit D 1000u QD. Been on all meds except newly prescribed Anoro and Zyrtec for long time. The voice changing occurred over last 2-3 months getting progressively more scratchy. No sore throats or problem swallowing. Recent CatScan on chest & lungs showed small nodules or abnormalities per my Pulmonary MD but did not see anything looking like cancer in lungs. Would like opinion on why my voice has gotten so raspy/scratchy.
11/23/2017
Vakul Aren
Vakul Aren, Doctor

Hello,I am Dr. Aren and I will help with your query,A raspy voice may occur due to an upper respiratory infection involving the larynx,Acute laryngitis.If there is Laryngo-Pharyngeal Reflux disorder(LPRD)in which the tissues of the throat and larynx are exposed to the reflux from the highly acidic reflux contents from the stomach,it may also affect the quality of the voice.A direct Laryngoscopy done by your ENT specialist will help establish the exact cause and further management of the scratchy voice.In this thew larynx and vocal cords are directly visualised to assess their health.It would be prudent to seek the advice of an ENT specialist who can examine you and guide you further regarding this.

Vakul Aren
Vakul Aren, Doctor
Vakul Aren
Vakul Aren
Vakul Aren, Doctor