Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

If I have recurrent yeast infections does that mean I have…

If I have recurrent...

If I have recurrent yeast infections does that mean I have HIV?

Doctor's Assistant: What are all the symptoms you're experiencing (e.g. loss of appetite, fever, rash)?

Only recurrent yeast infections

11/22/2017
Richard Han
Richard Han, Board Certified MD

Hello and thank you for your question. My name is***** am a board-certified physician with over 15 years of clinical experience and I am happy to help you. Can you tell me please, what type of yeast infections are you recurrently experiencing? Vaginal? Oral thrush? Elsewhere on body, such as the arm pits or neck folds? Have you been experiencing any other less common infections such as severe pneumonia, skin abscesses or TB? Thank you in advance for your replies.

I have only been having vaginal yeast infections, nowhere else in the body and no other infections either.

Thank you for that information. There are several reasons women can experience recurrent vaginal yeast infections. Sometimes it can be the result of taking antibiotics which alter the healthy bacteria living in the vaginal tract, allowing yeast to overgrow. Diabetics have somewhat impaired immune systems as well that can lead to yeast overgrowth. Women who douche often are prone to yeast infections, as are pregnant and expecting moms. Recurrent vaginal yeast infections can occur in the setting of HIV infection, if a person was infected for a prolonged period of time and beginning to experience the immune system breakdown of AIDS. But in and of themselves, recurrent vaginal yeast infections does not indicate HIV+ status. If you're not having other less common infections, fevers, weight loss, and general poor health, I would NOT suspect AIDS. Is there a particular reason you are asking about HIV? Do you believe you are at risk of contracting HIV? Can I help with anything else today?

Only because I have been reading in the internet that recurrent vaginal yeast infections is a first sign of HIV infection. I noticed that this has been a week before my period, might there be a connection?

If you do not have any risk factors for HIV transmission such as intravenous drug use or frequent unprotected sexual intercourse with multiple partners, I would not be concerned about HIV. Vaginal yeast infections can certainly occur prior to a period, as the vaginal flora or normal bacteria can change with hormonal changes, yes. Any other questions I can help with today?

I do not use intravenous drugs nor do I have frequent unprotected sex with multiple partners. What about stress? can this cause recurrent yeast infections?

Most likely yes, as stress will cause elevated levels of adrenaline and cortisol in your blood stream, which in turn can impact your hormone levels, which in turn can once again affect vaginal flora, predisposing you toward yeast infection. May I answer anything else?

Is it ok to use boric acid supposotories in the vagina?

Boric acid vaginal suppositories are readily available OTC. They have been found to be about 70% effective for some women with recurrent yeast infections not responding to typical antifungal medication treatments. Some women do experience local skin irritation, but otherwise boric acid vaginal suppositories are considered safe, so yes, I would say it's ok to use. Any other questions for today?

! If you have no further questions, please click the button to accept the answer and conclude our interaction. I would also appreciate the kindness of a 5 star positive review. Thank you.

Richard Han
Richard Han, Board Certified MD
Richard Han
Richard Han
Richard Han, Board Certified MD