Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

Sometimes I feel some pain in the left part of my chest.

Sometimes I feel some...

Sometimes I feel some pain in the left part of my chest. Could it be heart releated?

Doctor's Assistant: Do you know if your family has a history of heart disease? In general, how would you describe your health lately?

I am not aware of any heart deseases in the family.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Not really. I am just trying to understand if that might be something serious.

I want to add that the pain is rarely noticeable and lasts for minutes or an hour. It is typically weak. Sometimes it feels like slight burning, sometimes as some pressure. Always at the same location. This is lasting for approximately a month already.
11/22/2017
Richard Han
Richard Han, Board Certified MD

Hello and thank you for your question. My name is***** am a board-certified physician with over 15 years of clinical experience and I am happy to help you. Please answer a few questions for me. How old are you? Do you smoke? To the best of your knowledge, do you have diabetes or elevated cholesterol? Location-wise, exactly where do you feel the pain, and does it ever spread down your left arm? Are you ever short of breath or have difficulty with exercise or physical activity? Thank you in advance for your replies.

I am 32, don't smoke. No diabetes and I don't think the cholesterol level is high.
Location wise the pain is a bit lower than breast and somewhere inside (feels like somewhere in the middle). I never noticed it spread down into arm. Typically I don't have troubles with physical activity. Sometimes right after I swim on decent speed it might be more noticeable and a bit painful for a while (especially if I was exercising hardly) .

Thank you for that information. In that case, I do NOT believe your left sided chest pain is cardiac, or heart related. Most likely you are dealing with a musculoskeletal issue, perhaps a strained piece of chest wall muscle or mildly inflamed rib joint with your sternum or chest bone. You can take over the counter pain relievers such as ibuprofen or acetaminophen as needed for these. Can I help you with anything else today?

Richard Han
Richard Han, Board Certified MD
No, thank you