Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

Can a cross reaction of prescription cause a positive thc

Customer Question

Can a cross reaction of prescription cause a positive thc urine test? I take amphetamines, flexeril, hydroxyzine and Lexapro...
JA: Is this a time sensitive issue? What type of specimen are they testing?
Customer: I have a week or two before I’ll see the judge. It was a urine test... I’m in ACcountablity courts for a dui... I’m almost done so this could send me back.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I took a few quetiapine I had left over from an old prescription due to anxiety... oh and i also am prescribed ambien
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 8 months ago.

Hello from JustAnswer. This is Dr. Love.

It depends upon what type of urine test was done. There are various medicines that can cause a false positive urine screening test for THC, but they would not cause a false positive confirmatory test. None of the medicines that you list are reported to cause a false positive screening test for THC, but there are several medicines that have been shown to cause a false positive screening test. The most common are various anti-inflammatory medicines, including the over the counter anti-inflammatory medicines, ibuprofen and naproxen.

It is also possible that there could be a false positive urine screening test in someone that is not taking any medicines, because the technology will have a false positives in a fair percentage of cases. This is why it is recommended that any positive screening test should then be confirmed by a more accurate test, such as GC/MS.

If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Ok thanks

You are welcome.

If we are done, please provide a positive rating so that I am credited for assisting you.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I believe he did gave accurate information to help me make my choices.

Thank you for the positive feedback, but a star rating (hopefully a five star rating) also needs to be done for me to receive credit.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
5 star rating

There should be a place to click a 5 star rating above or below where you are typing your replies.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
There is no where to rate this via star value

There must be a technical problem with the site. I will communicate this to customer service.