Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have seven year old with refractive lazy eye her vision is…

I have seven year...

I have seven year old with refractive lazy eye her vision is 20/40 corrected will this go away

Doctor's Assistant: When was the last time you had your eyes checked? In general, how has your vision been lately?

She just saw fr yesterday

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Yes she has esophria and hypmetropia

She just seven in October her vision is hypermetropia she also had esophoria in both eyes her right eye had refractive amblyopia which mean she had 20/ 40 corrected vision my question will her visio go to 20/20 corrected in her lazy eye by glasses therapy which she is starting
Answered in 1 hour by:
11/22/2017
Richard Han
Richard Han, Board Certified MD

Hello and thank you for your question. My name is***** am a board-certified pediatrician with over 15 years of clinical experience and I am happy to help you. Please give me a moment to review your question.

Yes, it is possible with glasses and patch therapy to train the weaker eye to become stronger. By making the weaker eye work harder, the vision often clears up and becomes in better focus, also leading to the resolution of the lazy eye. Can I help you with any other questions today?

Richard Han
Richard Han, Board Certified MD
I am reading many sites that say a seven year old will not be cured of lazy eye that if it is done by seven or even six there only small chance it will work
That is not true. It is true that amblyopia, or lazy eye, should be treated as early as possible for the best outcomes, especially when started earlier than 5 years old. However, according to my reference source known as UpToDate (which covers nearly all medical conditions with the latest research and development) the upper age limit of good outcomes is 9-10 years old. Any previously untreated amblyopia should always receive therapy because even in children ages 7-17 years, 50% will have improvement. Basically it’s never too late to try and treat a lazy eye, with the earlier the intervention, the better the outcome. Can I help with anything else?
What does good outcomes mean? Everyone under 9 had resolutions to their lazy eye.
Good outcomes meaning much improved if not normalized vision. The grave outcome of amblyopia is complete loss of vision in one eye as the brain shuts it down. So retaining visual ability likely with improved clarity if not normal acuity and no more need for corrective lenses would all be considered good outcomes.
Richard Han
Richard Han
Richard Han, Board Certified MD