Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I used a heating pad 2 nights ago to treat a sore back. ive…

Customer Question
I used a heating...

I used a heating pad 2 nights ago to treat a sore back. ive been having back problems and thought it might help. I had been using ice but was so sore that I decided to use heat against my chiropractors instructions. I went to sleep and woke up feeling no worse at first but later in the day part of my lower back left side had twinges of pain in it.I had the heating pad covered with 2 layers of towel and had on pajamas and a sweater. There is no manifestation of a burn on my skin but the twinges of pain were somethin new. The heating pad was set on low. Did I burn anything? I also put a coldpak on the area when I woke up and kept a coldpak on the area all day. No discoloration of my skin. It doesn't look red or pink or anything on the surface of my skin. But the twinges of pain when I turn a certain way were new and concerned me. Can there be a burn without any manifestation on the surface of the skin?

Doctor's Assistant: Have you had any recent injuries? What seems to make the pain better or worse?

No recent injuries except my back "went out" and I went to my usual chiropractor and he could not get it to stay in (my si joint) so I went to another chiropractor who used a decompression machine and that made it feel better. In the meantime my doctor referred me for an MRI and the result of that was the orthopedic doctor she consulted with wanted a bone scan of my pelvis to take a closer look since he thought he saw a hairline fracture of my pelvis and wanted to get a bone scan with contrast to see. I do not have the results of that. I expect to get them today. I do have osteopenia. The pain twinges are around my left si joint. They only manifest when I get out of a chair or turn a certain way. I have not fallen. Ice seems to make the pain better so ive discovered. I never should have used heat. It increases swelling and only brings temporary relief.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

No not that I can think of right now

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Medical
11/22/2017
Doctor: Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor replied 8 months ago

Welcome to Just Answer.
Answers here are for education and information.
I will respond shortly with an answer, or further information request.

The twinges of pain are not likely due to burn.

These can be due to original problem and may not be related to heat.

Following measures would be helpful;

1) Back care in the activities of daily living, which is an integral component of the treatment of back problems. Back education is one of the most important thing which teaches the basic body mechanics, like correct posture for standing, standing at a desk or drawing board, sitting, brushing teeth, washing the face, pushing and pulling a weight, lifting a weight, getting in and out of bed, sleeping, getting into and sitting in a car. The training for these routine activity helps in preventing the spasm of the muscles. One needs to consult an occupational therapist or physical therapist which can educate about the proper and improper behaviors when back is painful in case they have to sit, bend forward, lie down, walk, cough, or sneeze. Following more need to be done:

a) Avoid activities which increases the pain.

b) Rest intermittently

c) Avoid bending at 90 degrees

d) Pushing and pulling should be avoided till pain subsides

f) Avoid prolonged sitting and standing

g) Avoid sitting or sleeping on floor

2) Anti-inflammatory analgesics like ibuprofen, other analgesics and muscle relaxants

3) Local analgesic gels or sprays / ointment

4) Hot fomentation

5) Electrotherapy like trans cutaneous electrical nerve stimulation: done by physical therapist. Other thing are ice packs, heating pads, electrical stimulation, phonophoresis, iontophoresis, relaxation, and biofeedback.

6) Good supervised physiotherapy: The exercises consist of abdominal bracing, modified sit-ups, double-knee-to-chest or low back stretches, seat lifts, mountain and sag exercises, knee-to-elbow exercises, hamstring stretches, extension exercises, and extension flexibility exercises. Swimming exercises (pool exercises) are best for back pain. Initial stretching and later strengthening exercises are taught.

7) Lumbosacral corset or support or brace

8) If obese or over weight, reduce weight for long term benefit.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

Was this information helpful to you? I would be glad to answer any further questions.

It is privilege assisting you.

Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.

Please consider a positive 5 star rating if this interaction has been satisfactory, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for the time and work. You are not charged again for giving a rating.

The rating button is on the left upper side of this thread.

You can continue to ask questions after positive feedback.

Thank you.

Wishing you all the very best in life.

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-rate-answer-hl