Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

Muneeb, I would like to check with you if having diarrhea…

Customer Question
Hi Dr. Muneeb,I would like...
Hi Dr. Muneeb,I would like to check with you if having diarrhea twice last night can cause a 1.5kg weight reduction the next day even after having lunch already?My dad's weight was 76.2kg since we last weigh him in June this year, and his weight dropped to 74.7kg when he took his weight 3-4 weeks ago. Though sometimes after a heavy mean, he is back to 76.2kg. However, today after his lunch, his weight was 72.7kg. He had diarrhea twice last night though. Is it normal to see such weight fluctuation?Also, does a person with gastroparesis's fart tend to be smellier than others?
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Medical
11/22/2017
Doctor: Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor replied 7 months ago
Dr. Muneeb Ali
Welcome to Ja and thanks for this question. I'm sorry to hear about your father. Actually a reduction of 1.5 kg can occur after diarrhea depending on the amount of fluid lost in the diarrhea episodes. If the volume was large then a patient can even lose upto 2 to 3 kgs of weight. This is because most of our body is made up of water and the water being lost in the diarrhea can be significant.
Secondly regarding the odor of the gas expelled, yes it is possible that patients who have gastroparesis can have a foul odor to their gas, this cab be because of the longer period of time the food spends inside the body. But with diarrhea the odor cab indicate an infection of the intestines and that would need to be treated with antibiotics in case of bacterial infections and in viral infections supportive management is needed.
Do you have anymore questions?
Please remember to leave a positive rating as that is how we are compensated for helping you today.
can i say that it is common for people with gastroparesis tends to have slightly stronger odor fart?Do you mean that with just diarrhea twice only can also cause a weight reduction of 1.5kg? Also he has been taking cordycep for the past 2 months. Does cordycep has any effect on weight loss? And is it normal for a person weight to fluctuate between 72.7kg to 76.1kg from time to time? Taking note that he does have water retention at times. But most of thw times his weight stays at 74.7kg. Just today his weight drop to 72.7k which i am not sure if there is a cause for concern?
Also can i just check with you if this particular medicine for blood pressure has got any diuretic effect too?Napamide.
you can say that gstroparesis can cause a foul odor in the air expelled.
Yes even two episodes of diarrhea can cause a weight reduction of 1.5 kg and yes it is common for the weight to fluctuate this much in a few months. Cordyceps does not cause the weight to fluctuate. Also napamide does have a diuretic effect.
Do you have anymore questions?
Please remember to leave a positive rating as that is how we are compensated.
Sorry you might have misunderstood my statement. What i meant is does cordycep has a weight loss effect?Also, 3 days ago, his weight was 74.7kg and the next day he started taking napamide once per day as instructed by the doc. So can there be a possibility that the 1.5kg weight loss during this 3 days is from the diuretic effect of napamide?

There is no known effect of cordyceps to cause weight loss however the same time not enough studies have been done on the product to determine if there is weight loss as a side effect or not.

It could be because of the effect of napamide.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

1. Prior to giving him napamide, the doc prescribe this diuretic medication (lasix) for him just in case the water retention became worse and require medication. However for now, he has given him napamide to be taken once every morning, can he still take lasix if the water retention worsen? Since napamide has diuretic effect too, will taking both cause side effect?2. The doc gave him potassium to be taken together with lasix, however, he did not mention that my dad has to take potassium pill together with napamide (since there is diuretic effect too). Do you think my dad has to take potassium if he takes napamide once every morning?

1) Yes he can still take the lasix as and when needed No taking both together will not cause a side effect unless both are used for a prolonged period of time.

2) With napamide usually potassium is not needed.

Do you have any more questions?

Okay last but not least, am i right to say that napamide is for people with mild high blood pressure and water retention? Or napamide is usually given to which type of patient?And up to how many kg can a person lose due to water retention?

Yes napamide can be used in patients with only high blood pressure as well as patients with high BP and water retention. It can be used in patients WITHOUT water retention as well.

As far as weight loss is concerned, that depends on the amount of water retention, the higher the water retention the higher the weight loss. up to 10 kgs can be expected over a period of time and some patients who have severe water retention can even lose 20 kgs.

Do you have any more questions?

Is there a way to differentiate between weight loss due to water retention or due to fats/muscle?

Yes on a clinical examination and weight loss due to fat and muscle would not occur so quickly that is within one day or even 48 hours.

Do you have any more questions?

how do we differentiate weight loss due to cancer? Sorry if my questions get to thorough because i am taking care of quite a few elderlies

That is done via looking at the whole clinical picture, the weight loss is cancer is not water weight the patient actually loses body mass in the form of muscles and fat and there are clinical signs and symptoms of cancer. Water loss is rapid and fluctuating whereas the weight loss due to a disease is more slow and progressive in nature.

Do you have any more questions?

Can a person with diabetes who doesnt excerise result in muscle wasting too?

yes, if they develop diabetic amyotrophy which is a complication of diabetes.

Do you have any more questions?

Would you like to know anything else? Any clarifications or additional questions that you might have, i would be happy to answer them for you. If done for now, please remember to leave a positive rating as that is the only way we are compensated for our time spent helping you. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the rating. Any BONUSES would be well appreciated!