Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

The last time I smoked was 64 days ago and I'm tested 3

Customer Question
The last time I...

The last time I smoked weed was 64 days ago and I'm tested 3 times a week. I had been testing okay lately, but when I was tested today, it came back positive for THC. Why? I had worked so hard.

Doctor's Assistant: Is there an upcoming drug test scheduled? What kind of samples are being tested?

It's a urine test and I have to be tested again tonight. Why would it show up positive when it's been negative?

Doctor's Assistant: Is this a time sensitive issue? What type of specimen are they testing?

It is kind of. I'm in a sober living home. I just pee into a cup.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I take meds, Lexapro and Depacote.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Medical
11/22/2017
Doctor: Dr. D. Love, Doctor replied 7 months ago
Dr. D. Love, Doctor

Hello from JustAnswer. This is Dr. Love.

I am sorry that no expert has yet responded.

The reason why depends upon what type of urine drug test was done.

If it was a screening test, such as an immunoassay test, then the most common reason there would be a positive test in this situation would be a false positive. There are pros and cons to all tests, and the primary con to screening tests is that there is a fair amount of false positives, even in someone that is not taking any other medicine that is knows to cause false positives.

If it was a confirmatory test, such as GC/MS, then a positive result typically is a true positive. The only mechanism by which a false positive can occur would be lab error, such as the lab confusing your specimen with another person's specimen, and labs typically go through great effort to prevent this. If you have not been using the drug and the results have been negative for months, the most common explanation would be that you were given the drug without your knowledge.

If I can provide any clarification, please let me know.