Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have onw line running across each of my big toe nails,

Customer Question
I have onw white...

I have onw white line running across each of my big toe nails, what can this mean

Doctor's Assistant: What are all the symptoms you're experiencing (e.g. loss of appetite, fever, rash)?

No, none of those but the tips of my toes sometimes sting at night in bed

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I'm going through menopause and have a few problems associated with that and sometimes get diverticulitis, 10 years ago I had renal cancer and lost a kidney. They are the major things

Doctor's Assistant: Are you keeping a personal medical record while dealing with this?

Yes, sort of but not good as it should be perhaps

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Medical
11/22/2017
Doctor: Dr. Gupta, Doctor replied 7 months ago
Dr. Gupta
Dr. Gupta, Doctor

Hi

welcome to just answer

There are various causes for white lines on nails -

- fungal infection

- low protein in the blood, which may be due to poor nutrition, liver disease or kidney disease

- any severe previous illness

- age-related

- rarely due to heavy metals like lead, arsenic etc

I would recommend you to consult your doctor for a first-hand evaluation to look for the exact cause. In the meantime, try improving protein intake in your diet if possible

Hope this information is helpful

Regards

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or if you want to discuss this further. And please take a moment and kindly click a positive rating (preferably 5 Star/Excellent) to credit for the time & effort put by me in answering your health question, and this is the only way I will be credited for my service to you. If you have follow-up or additional questions you can ask them after the rating too!

Cheers