Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I'm a 58 year old female. For the past couple of days I have…

Customer Question
I'm a 58 year old...
I'm a 58 year old female. For the past couple of days I have been getting lower right quadrant pain that comes and goes. I have gas and stomach cramps. Sometimes not,often when I lay on that right side it's tender. Any ideas what this can be?
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Medical
11/21/2017
Doctor: Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist replied 8 months ago
Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist

Hi there,
This is Dr Basu, experienced Internal Medicine Specialist.
I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.

Do you have any diarrhea or loose stool problem?

Any blood in stool?

Any problem with urination?

No diarrhea or loose stools. No blood in stool. Urine is foamy and has a strong odor.

Ok thanks for your reply.

Foamy urine with strong odor can be due to the bacterial infection --urinary tract infection.

This can also cause right lower abdominal pain.

Another possibility can be due to the intrinsic kidney disease.

Diabetes, hypertension, autoimmune disorder can cause kidney damage and hence such urine changes.

Kidney stone is also a common cause and can result in recurrent urinary tract infections.

Gas and stomach cramps can be due to the intestinal infection.

Parasitic infection, H pylori infection can be the common causes.

Stool tests should be considered besides urinalysis.

Best wishes

When I sit it's worse. When I stand or lay it subsides. Then it disappears. A little side back pain

Sitting creates pressure on the urinary bladder and also intestine. Pain at back and also lower stomach especially if radiating can be kidney pain as well.

What do you think? Urinary or intestinal? Kidney stone?

I will go with urinary tract infection and kidney stone as they are related and given your urinary symptoms.

Also when I lay down pain goes down my leg. Can sciatic affect groin?

If the pain travels at the back of your leg from the lower back then this can be sciatica.

Sciatica is caused by the compression of the nerve coming out of 5th lumbar vertebra.

The pain can also radiate to groin.

Ok so it can be various things. Are you leaving more towards one thing. I have had this pain before and it disappears and comes back after a few months.

Yes it can be. Urinary symptoms need to be given more importance given the risk of kidney involvement.

Thank you! Are you general practitioner?

Very welcome.

I am an Internal medicine specialist.