Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

Last nite, my husband woke up with severe chills, nausea,

Customer Question
Last nite, my husband...

Last nite, my husband woke up with severe chills, nausea, severe shaking, muscle aches, constipation and chest congestion. This morning he is better but still a long way from good. The shaking and chills have subsided and thanks to a laxative he is returning to normal; But the body aches, chest congestion and upset stomach remain. Thoughts?

Doctor's Assistant: Is the condition chronic, or acute?

Acute

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Medical
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/21/2017
Doctor: Dr. Sohaib, Doctor replied 7 months ago
Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib, Doctor

Hello and thank you for the question.
Answers given are for informational purposes only and are not meant to replace an exam by an in-person.
I am Dr. Sohaib, a practicing Internal Medicine Specialist and I will do my best to help you today.

These symptoms are highly suggestive of an infection, most likely viral infection which gives more generalized symptoms (like nausea, chills, body aches, fatigue, rash, fever) rather than localized symptoms (as it happens usually in bacterial infections).

Now if he already started to improve, I would suggest some home remedies like plenty of liquid intake, Tylenol for control of pain and fever etc.

Most of these infections are self limiting, but there are some clear indications to seek medical care including;

High fever

Significant Cough

Shortness of breath

Prolonged symptoms beyond 72 hours

I think a watchful monitoring is required for the time being, but in case of any warning symptoms, he should seek medical care.

Good luck

My goal is to provide you with Excellent Service - if satisfied with the response, Please do not forget to Rate my service as this is the only way i get credit for my time and expertise on your question.
If you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.
Kindest Regards.