Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

My family has been suffering with a pinworm infestation.

Customer Question
My family has been...

My family has been suffering with a pinworm infestation. Doctors don't seem to recognize or want to treat with anything but over the counter stuff that doesn't work. We have been to dr after dr with no help. I now have them in my nose. My daughter who has an auto immune is now got them in her nose, vaginally and has been referred to a infectous disease specialist. But they wont see her. What can we do and where do we go from here? how do you treat them in the nose?

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with this? Are you having any breathing problems?

Since the middle of July 2017. I have not had breathing problems other than it feels like my coated nose is coated an d stuffed. My daughter is having some breathing problems.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I have a blood clotting disorder and am on xaralto

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Medical
11/21/2017
Doctor: Richard Han, Board Certified MD replied 7 months ago
Richard Han
Richard Han, Board Certified MD

Hello and thank you for your question. My name is***** am a board-certified physician with over 15 years of clinical experience and I am happy to help you. I'm sorry for the ordeal you and your family have been going through. I have had experience with families who were treated repeated with OTC pinworm medication (e.g. Pin-X, Reese's Pinworm) unsuccessfully. In my practice, I ended up having to use a prescription antihelminthic medication called Albenza (albendazole) which covers pinworm as well as multiple other worms. Unfortunately, I cannot prescribe you anything through JustAnswer, but perhaps you could call around, even visit urgent care walk in centers or the ER, where if you share your story and what I wrote here, you might be able to find a physician willing to prescribe the Albenza. Can I help you with anything else?

Unfortunately Albenza and all other “worm” medications have been bought by one pharmasutical company and are now called mebendazole. Even if you can get a script for it, it is over $800. For 2 pills. And insurance won’t pay for it. We have been prescribed ivermectin instead and it doesnt work any better than Reece’s OTR. It’s not like this is an uncommon problem. It’s hard to imagine this problem in America. We have one company controlling all the medication for worms!

I'm so sorry to hear that. Are you familiar with the GoodRx.com? By going to this website (they also have a smartphone app) I did a quick search and even without insurance coverage, Albenza can be gotten for around $220. Still not cheap, but much better than $800. The other thought that came to mind was if you could isolate the worms themselves and have them analyzed by a lab. Proper identification might guide therapy better and be used by your doctor to appeal the insurance company for coverage, with a specific worm species documented. I truly hope you are able to find treatment and relief soon. Please let me know if I can help you in any other way.

If you have no further questions, please click the button to accept the answer and conclude our interaction. I would also appreciate the kindness of a 5 star positive review. Thank you.