Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

My colostomy pouch irritates the skin below the pouch. Is…

Customer Question
My colostomy pouch irritates...

My colostomy pouch irritates the skin below the pouch. Is there a pouch that wont do that?

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with the skin issue? Have you noticed any major changes in your overall skin or nails recently?

The problem is fairly new, but very irritating.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Medical
11/21/2017
Doctor: Dr. David, Board Certified Physician replied 8 months ago
Dr. David, Board Certified Physician

Hello, this is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

many of the colostomy pouches are plastic and over time can irritate your skin

you should ask your nurse for a duoderm pad you can stick to your skin below your colostomy pouch

so the bag there can lay on the duoderm pad which can help protect your skin

let me know if you have questions.