Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

Is it normal for blood pressure to dip right before you fall…

Is it normal for blood...
Is it normal for blood pressure to dip right before you fall asleep? My blood pressure is 115/65 (average) during the day. Right before I went to sleep last night it was 96/55. I was feeling a bit lightheaded (could have been from almost falling asleep then). Is this normal?
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/21/2017
Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib, Doctor

Hello and thank you for the question.
Answers given are for informational purposes only and are not meant to replace an exam by an in-person.
I am Dr. Sohaib, a practicing Internal Medicine Specialist and I will do my best to help you today.

Thank you

I would like to get some more information regarding your symptoms to help you more efficiently.

Do you have any known cardiac illness?

Are you on any blood pressure medications?

No, and no. I have had echocardiogram, ecg, stress test, and coronary CTA all normal.
I am 37 and male
I did have a pulmonary embolism in June that has since resolved. Had a bit of right heart strain that has since been shown to have corrected.

That's very reassuring to hear.

The changes in blood pressure readings are linked to variety of factors; for example certain things bring blood pressure up; and certain factors bring it down.

Once a person is sleeping, lying flat, has taken any antihypertensive drug, sedatives/hypnotics or tranquillizers, the blood pressure readings go down.

These fluctuations in blood pressure readings are considered physiological or normal, unless they are causing significant symptoms; or if the blood pressure readings become too low (hypotension---which means mean arterial pressure less than 65 or a fall in systolic blood pressure more than 40 mmHg).

Now in your case; if you don't have significant symptoms in terms of shortness of breath, chest pain, severe dizziness or light headedness --- there is no rush. You can just re-check the blood pressure after some time. Hopefully it will give you better readings later on.

But in case of any warning symptoms; as I mentioned above, better to see your doctor earliest, preferably in ER.

I do feel a bit lightheaded when it happens, and also feel some adrenaline type feelings in my stomach.

In that case, better to have this evaluated by your doctor. They need to rule out any cardiac insufficiency, or arrhythmia or any other serious/important factor that might be causing this problem.

Also try to keep yourself adequately hydrated; it helps.

Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib, Doctor
Thank you very much