Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

I got my nose pierced on October 20th and have been cleaning…

I got my nose...

I got my nose pierced on October 20th and have been cleaning twice a day with Bactine spray and i have a bump on my nose now that looks like a keloid. What can i do about it?

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with this? Are you having any breathing problems?

It started about 3 days ago with a small bump and has now grown into a red bump. No breathing problems

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I'm lactose intolerant and am now trying to get pregnant if that would have anything to do with it.

11/21/2017
Dr Stan
Dr Stan, Doctor

Hello, this is Dr. Stan, thank you for your question. I am U.S. trained,

Board Certified and I have 30 years of patient experience and I am here to help you today. This sounds more like an abscess than a keloid. There is a cream available, over the counter, called "Black Salve" or Abscess Cream. You can apply that will cause it to "point" (come to a head so it can drain). Also apply warm moist heat to your nose as often as possible. Usually an abscess will come to a head in 10-14 days without any treatment, but using the salve will help it much faster. After it opens and starts to drain, apply Bacitracin which is a topical antibiotic, twice daily. This also is available over the counter.

If you can, please attach a picture.

I hope I have addressed your concerns.

Thank you for allowing me to provide assistance.

I am available to answer any additional questions you may have.

I hope your medical problem(s) are resolved soon and you feel better. I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you and that I have earned my 5 star rating today.

Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you.

Dr Stan
Dr Stan, Doctor
Is there any other antibiotic and cream i can try if i can't find those ones here in Canada?
Thanks.

As I suspected, this is an infection/abscess, not a keloid. You should be easily able to find the Bacitracin. If you can't find "Black Salve" (abscess cream, ask the pharmacist. It may be kept behind the counter or may be marketed by a different name in Canada). If the abscess cream is not available, then additional warm moist heat will suffice.

Ok thanks for your help. Have a great day!

You too.

Dr Stan
Dr Stan
Dr Stan, Doctor