Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

I have anterior extradual defects in L2-3 and L3-4 causing

excruciating pain in my lower...
I have anterior extradual defects in L2-3 and L3-4 causing excruciating pain in my lower back which affects my sciatic nerve causing numbness in my left leg loss of balance extreme low back left hip and leg pain. Having surgery on it what should I expect for the outcome after surgery of this solving my pain and helping reduce the pain medication and what is the recovery time?
JA: What medications do you take daily? Are you allergic to any medications?
Customer: Percocet 10mg 4 times daily and 5 different steroids, ceclor, sudafed, and penicillin
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I have Interstitial Cisitis since January 2000 with 6 Hunners Ulcers also have an Interstem for my bladder that was installed in March 2009 with only a 30% affective ness and a spinal Stimulater for extreme pelvic pain with a 100% of now no pelvic pain. We have tried changing the settings on the Spinal one to my low back and my pelvic pain and it causes the pelvic pain to reduce from 100% to 30-40% and the same for the lower back and leg pain. This has been going on since May 2012 gotten worse. I have my own business remodeling/repairing homes which I do a lot of lifting bending ect... I’m 47 yrs old and this affects my job tremendously and my social and sexual life. I’ve tried steroids and that’s how I knew I was allergic to them also physical therapy. Is surgery my best option? What is the recovery time and % rate of this fixing my issues, reducing my pain medication intake and being able to return to working again? Also was very active playing softball, watching my 4 soon to be 5 grandchildren ages 8 and under. I feel it is also beginning to affect loss of my bladder function on top of my IC. What are my best options at this point?
Answered in 1 hour by:
11/21/2017
Doctor John MD
Doctor John MD, Board Certified MD

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer.com

This is Dr. John and I will be helping you today.

I will be reviewing your question and will respond shortly.

I may need to ask a few more questions in order to best serve you.

Thank you for your patience.

Answers here are for education and information only.

how long have you had the pain and other symptoms from the disc herniations?

Customer reply replied 21 days ago
Since May 2012

if pain is severe and limiting your daily function, then surgery would be reasonable.

Have you seen the surgeon yet and if so, do you know if the surgeon planning on a laminectomy or a spinal fusion?

Customer reply replied 21 days ago
He ordered a Myelogram that I did yesterday and I go back to see him tomorrow at 3:30

ok, so based on the results of the myelogram that will help determine if surgery will be helpful or not. Since you have had pain for as long as you have and the pyelogram is positive for impingement of one or more of the nerves, then surgery would be a reasonable solution.

The surgeon should be able to tell you their experience with the type of surgery they recommend and what their success rate is with patients since this will vary from surgeon to surgeon.

Does that help answer your question?

Customer reply replied 21 days ago
I can tell what the test results were

ok, but the tests are only helpful in conjunction with a history and physical exam, so would be difficult to give you advice based off the test results here. The surgeon will be able to review the test results and compare them to your history and exam findings and give you an accurate recommendation for surgery or not.

Does that make sense?

Customer reply replied 21 days ago
just based off what I’ve told you which test would you do/recommend and what is the recovery period? I flip flop houses so do a lot of physical work and now is our slow up time.

if one level affected, then laminectomy would be first choice since less invasive. However, if surgeon feels two levels are source of pain then lumbar fusion would be also an option.

Laminectomy usually 4 to 8 week recovery. Spinal fusion can take 6 to 12 weeks depending on if anterior and posterior or if hardware is needed.

The advantage is that most patients come out of surgery with noticeably less pain from the discs than prior to surgery, so the pain you'll have afterwards will only be surgery-related and should be improving each day.

Does that make sense?

Customer reply replied 21 days ago
it’s anterior

so an anterior fusion will be on the longer time frame of healing - usually 2-3 months. There will be pain at location of the bone graft if they take from the hip, but overall, patients do well with this surgery.

Customer reply replied 21 days ago
Thanks so much for your advice. I’m use to pain I’ve had IC since January 2000. But my back pain really affects my work and I want to get off my pain Meds 4 times a day down to 2 daily
Would also recommend seeing a Physical therapist that specializes in pelvic function dysfunction to help with your other symptoms. Not may specialize in it, but have found those patients with chronic bladder issues tend to get some improvement with pelvic floor strengthening.
Customer reply replied 21 days ago
I already tried that for over a year and it didn’t work so I got the bladder interstem and it is supposed to keep my bladder from having spasms and it doesn’t even do that. I also have 6 Hunners Ulcers in my bladder. But I’ve been dealing with my bladder since mid 1999 and officially diagnosed with IC in January 2000

good to hear that you tried the pelvic floor PT, a lot of patients never seen one and I do see patients where that treatment helps with IC and other bladder problems.

How did the appointment with the surgeon go?

Doctor John MD
Doctor John MD, Board Certified MD

I would like to thank you for your question and I hope you found my answer informative and helpful.

Please remember to leave a rating by clicking the series of 5 stars at the top of the screen.

The experts here at JustAnswer only get credit for the answer once you leave a rating for us.

You can also add a bonus if you were extremely happy with our service today.

You can always return and ask follow up questions if needed.

- Dr John.

Doctor John MD
Doctor John MD
Doctor John MD, Board Certified MD