Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

How serious is a diffusely echogenic fatty liver upperlimit…

Customer Question
How serious is a...

How serious is a diffusely echogenic fatty liver upperlimit size at 18.1cm?? no lesions IVC is patent?

Doctor's Assistant: What are all the symptoms you're experiencing (e.g. loss of appetite, fever, rash)?

No A Hiatal Hernia Reflux and Food catching in throat

Doctor's Assistant: How severe is this?

Moderate

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I had aspiration Pnemonia 2 times since March

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Medical
11/21/2017
Doctor: Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor replied 3 months ago
Dr. Muneeb Ali

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. Im sorry to hear about your symptoms. Actually a fatty liver can be due to various causes including due to alcohol intake, due to a marked increase in the cholesterol levels in the body or due to medications. But a fatty liver can be managed before it progresses to cause permanent or irreversible damage to the liver. Usually this would take some time to progress to chronic liver disease, the mean time is between 1-3 years depending on the underlying cause and whether treatment is sought or not.

But a diffusely echogenic fatty liver is serious enough to warrant a immediate change in the lifestyle as well further tests to prevent it from progressing further. This would include complete abstinence from alcohol, cutting back on fried and fatty foods, using medications like atorvastatin or rosuvastatin to reduce the deposition of fat in the liver.

BUT it is NOT serious enough that you would think that the liver cannot recover, IT CAN COMPLETELY recover provided you undertake the right interventions.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Doctor: Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor replied 2 months ago

Would you like to know anything else? Any clarifications or additional questions that you might have, i would be happy to answer them for you. If done for now, please remember to leave a positive rating as that is the only way we are compensated for our time spent helping you. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the rating.

Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor