Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I️ have a small rash of shingles on my lower left back. I️

Customer Question
Hi, I️ have a...

Hi, I️ have a small rash of shingles on my lower left back. I️ left my calomine lotion at work. Can I put betadine antiseptic on it?

Doctor's Assistant: What are all the symptoms you're experiencing (e.g. loss of appetite, fever, rash)?

Nothing. Just a rash thankfully

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Not really

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Medical
11/21/2017
Doctor: Dr.Anil, Doctor replied 9 months ago
Dr.Anil
Dr.Anil, Doctor

Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you. I am a board certified consultant with over 30 years of experience.

I understand your concern.

Shingles is a disease caused by the varicella-zoster virus - the same virus that causes chickenpox. There is no cure for shingles.

Betadine is usually not prescribed for shingles rash.

The usual line of treatment may include

Anti viral medications

Calamine Lotion

Medications like pregabalin may be prescribed in patients with Post Herpetic Neuralgia.

Let me know if you have any further query so we can discuss it thoroughly in every aspect.

Please use the REPLY/SEND BUTTON to reply back to me. It’s request to avoid poor/bad rating.

Please provide a positive rating by clicking on 5 stars.

It’s my pleasure to continue this conversation until you satisfy.

Waiting for your response.

Thanks.