Family Physician, Doctor
Experience:  Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years
1304720

My last blood test showed hemoglobin level of 5 and iron

Customer Question

my last blood test showed hemoglobin level of 5 and iron absorption less than 10. I also suffer from weakness dizziness, upset sytomach and shortness of breath. My colonoscopy is normal and there hs been no blood in stool samples. What is most likely cause?
JA: Is this a time sensitive issue? What type of specimen are they testing?
Customer: stomach pain started 10 months ago. In july hemoglobin was 7.5, test 5 days ago was 5. Stool samples have been tested 3 times in last 5 months. I don't know what you mean by time sensitive issue.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I am considered a hep C carrier, but liver levels normal. I also have cold rom smoking and a serious mesa type infection 3 yers ago. I am a 64 y o male.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 12 months ago.

sHi, this is Dr Phil, here to assist you. I am Board Certified with over 10 years of experience. I will respond with my answer shortly. Thank you.

have you had an upper endoscopy?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
irritation was noted but no bleeding in stomach biopsy was taken of stomach but I have not yet gotten results.

did they check your small bowel with a camera pill?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
no, and though on the previous endoscopy the doctor talked to me after the procedure, he did not this time. That is why I contacted you, that and reading the dismal survival rates o stomach cancer. I was only told that the colonoscopy ws normal.
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Since my last message to you I received an email from the hospital asking me to call the doctor for the biopsy results. I am somewhat afraid to do so but guess must...though on the phone yesterday they told me results would take 5-7 days...

you don't have stomach cancer

that would have been seen in the scope

you do need a camera pill though to determine where the bleeding is