Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I was given a drug test the other day and it tested positive…

Customer Question
I was given a...

I was given a drug test the other day and it tested positive for methanphetamine. I take Prozac (fluoxitine) generic form and kolonopin, and phentramine every other day. The only thing that showed up was that and I am wondering why that would be positive?

Doctor's Assistant: Is this a time sensitive issue? What type of specimen are they testing?

Saliva

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Thats all the meds i take daily. i had been taking an antibiotic clydamicyn and cough meds for sinus infection

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Medical
Answered in 1 hour by:
11/21/2017
Doctor: Dr Subbanna MD, Neurologist (MD) replied 4 months ago
Dr Subbanna MD
Dr Subbanna MD, Neurologist (MD)

Hi, I am an American Board Certified Neurologist with vast experience in diagnosing & treating all neurological as well as all other health/medical conditions including Drug testings, and I am very glad to help you with your health concerns.

I am sorry to hear your drug test has come unfortunately positive for methamphetamine. I am very familiar with this type of situation associated with drug testings and I can certainly help you in this regard.

Out of the various medications you are currently on, or the medications that you had used recently including the antibiotic clindamycin etc, there is one of them that can cause false positive result for methamphetamine

It is Prozac (Fluoxetine)

This medication can rarely show false positive result for methamphetamine.

Phentermine, the other med you are on can cause false positive result for amphetamines, but not to methamphetamine

Among the various drugs you are currently on, or were recently were on – only Prozac appears the most likely culprit - because it can cause false positive result for mehtamphetamine as mentioned earlier above.

I will post a web link below here as supportive information in this regard;

https://www.goodrx.com/blog/these-15-medications-can-cause-a-false-positive-on-drug-tests/

As you see above Prozac unfortunately can trigger a false positive response for methamphetamine during drug testing.

Regarding the drug testing on saliva you have had - I am not sure whether you had both steps of the drug testing or just the first step only.

When it comes to the drug testing, as you may be already familiar there are two steps of drug tests; the initial or first step of screening test and then the final or second step of confirmatory test.

The screening tests are typically done with immunoassay technology. This technology is prone to false positive results from other medications.

Confirmation tests are done with what is called as GC/MS (Gas chromatography/Mass Spectrometry) or some other similar test and these tests are not expected to give false positive results from other medications (except in rarest of rare cases).

Please try to find out if this test was confirmed with GC/MS. If not, please ask for the specimens to be sent for confirmation with GC/MS. If this is not an option (because the specimen has already been discarded after doing a screening immunoassay test), then please ask for hair testing with GC/MS confirmation. This should identify drug use during the last 90 days approximately.

Even if after doing the confirmatory rest (GC/MS test) if the test still comes positive for methamphetamine then please try to show them the above article where it is clearly mentioned Prozac can be confused with methamphetamine during drug testing.

In the light of the evidence that Prozac being able to trigger a false positive result for methamphetamine so you must be safe and they will ascribe this false positive drug test result to the use of Prozac - provided the confirmatory test is also not helpful. But if the confirmatory test shows you are negative for methamphetamine then this issue will be resolved automatically.

One or otherway you should be safe in this regard since you have been using Prozac already.

Wishing you all the very best with your drug test result, as well as with your health!

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or if you want to discuss this further. And please take a moment and kindly click a positive rating (preferably 5 Star/Excellent) to credit for the time & effort put by me in answering your health question, and this is the only way I will be credited for my service to you. If you have follow-up or additional questions you can ask them after the rating too!

Assuring you the best services!

Best Regards!

Dr Subbanna MD

Hi, Do you have any additional health questions? Do you want to discuss this issue related with the drug test result further (Re: false positive result for methamphetamine)? Please let me know and I am available here.

Assuring you the best services!

Best Regards!

Dr Subbanna MD

Dr Subbanna MD
Dr Subbanna MD
Dr Subbanna MD, Neurologist (MD)