Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have GERD symptoms for about a week now. I was on a low…

Customer Question
I have GERD symptoms...

I have GERD symptoms for about a week now. I was on a low carb diet for couple months and i think the high fat triggered it. Started adjusting my diet and have been taking a Zantac 2x per day.

Doctor's Assistant: What are all the symptoms you're experiencing (e.g. loss of appetite, fever, rash)?

Mainly throat discomfort, feel like some air is getting into esophagus. discomfort as well. had a bout of this 25 years ago and Tagamet cleared it up. was thinking of trying Nexum tomorrow I heard that is better for this??

Doctor's Assistant: How severe is this?

Not al the time..like today I was driving home from work in crazy traffic and it started..think stress triggered it today

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I was pretty healthy when i had hip replacement surgery couple years ago..not been treated for anything

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Medical
11/21/2017
Doctor: Dr. D. Love, Doctor replied 8 months ago
Dr. D. Love, Doctor

Hello from JustAnswer. This is Dr. Love.

Yes, the Nexium (and other proton pump inhibitors) is a more potent medicine and works for a greater percentage of people with GERD. Zantac works well for many people and if the Zantac is working for you, there is no reason to take the stronger medicine. But if the Zantac is not able to get good control of GERD, then it would be appropriate to use a proton pump inhibitor, such as the Nexium.

The recommended dose of Nexium is 20 mg once daily.

If there is any additional information, please let me know.

Please let me know if I can find any further assistance.