Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

My wife has a pulse rate of 173 beats per minute. Should we…

My wife has a...

My wife has a pulse rate of 173 beats per minute. Should we go to the emergency room?

Doctor's Assistant: Can you tell me about all the symptoms you've experienced (e.g. shortness of breath, heart palpitations, minor physical effort making you feel tired)?

She said that she was having heart palpitations

Doctor's Assistant: Do you know if your family has a history of heart disease? In general, how would you describe your health lately?

Her mom had congestive heart failure in her 80's

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

She said that it started after taking an antihistamine a few days ago.

11/21/2017
Dr Josh
Dr Josh, Doctor

Dear customer

This is Dr. Josh. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

Thank you.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

Dear customer

Thank you for being online.

Yes,you need to take her to Emergency room (ER).

Normal pulse rate for a healthy adult, while resting, can range from 60 to 100 beats per minute.A heart rate over 100 beats a minute is called tachycardia.Hyperthyroidism is a common cause of an increased heart rate at rest and with mild exertion.Hyperthyroidism(high levels of thyroid hormone)should always be ruled out with blood tests before making the diagnosis of Inappropriate Sinus Tachycardia.

Other causes of high heart rate are:anxiety, or drinking a lot of caffeine-containing beverages,congenital defects, coronary artery disease,chronic disease of the heart valves, or chronic lung disease.

It is quite possible that this can be a side effect of anti histamine medication she is taking.

She also has a family history of heart disease.

So my best advise for you is to please take her to ER as she needs tests & examination to rule out any underlying heart disease and then treatment will be done accordingly.

Thank you.

Hope this helped

If you have any further question then you can ask me.

Please leave positive rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today ,we only getafter positive feedback.

Bonus is highly appreciated.

We are here to help you until you satisfy.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

Dear customer

Do you have any other follow up question?

Waiting for your reply…

Thank you.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

Dearcustomer

I am still waiting for your reply.

If you have any questions,please let me know..I am happy to address your follow-up questions.

I am online & I am waiting for your reply.

Please do reply.

Thank you.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

On the way to the emergency room. Thanks!

Okay.

Good luck.

Thank you for for using just answer website.

God bless her & take care.

Kind Regards
Dr.Josh

Dr Josh
Dr Josh, Doctor
Dr Josh
Dr Josh
Dr Josh, Doctor