Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have had diarrhea off and on for over a month. After two…

Customer Question
I have had diarrhea...

I have had diarrhea off and on for over a month. After two trips to the emergency room I was told it was most likely caused by two rounds of antibiotics I took for a tooth infection. It has been 5 weeks now and I still feel very bad and have bouts of diarrhea and jelly like stools. I am an 88 year old female. I have had blood work done three times and no infection shows up but I am completely drained of all energy.

Doctor's Assistant: In general, how has your health been lately?

Good other than the last 5 weeks.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

No, I don't think so.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Medical
11/21/2017
Doctor: Dr Chip (M.D.), Doctor replied 7 months ago

Hello. I'm Dr Chip
Thanks for your question and I'm reviewing it.
I'll be back in a moment with and answer or a request for more information

Have you had a stool culture and a screen for an H pylori bacterial stomach infection?

No, I have not

Well if I were your doctor I would screen you for the H pylori and check a stool culture for C diff which is most often seen after rounds of antibiotics

For the time being you can try oral probiotics and a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar in a glass of water twice a day

But depending on the results of those tests you will need a course of an appropriate antibiotic

Please let me know if you need any more information