Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

Can a steroid injection help with bone marrow oedema in the…

Customer Question
Can a steroid injection...

Can a steroid injection help with bone marrow oedema in the tibia?

Doctor's Assistant: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?

I have only had the MRI showing prominent bone oedema and are on no treatment

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

No just hypothyroid I think this was caused by a trail run I did

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Medical
Please also advise if you can run with this condition?
11/20/2017
Doctor: Dr. Mo, Board Certified MD replied 8 months ago
Dr. Mo
Dr. Mo, Board Certified MD

Hi, Dr. Mo here with JA. Please let me review the information and I'll reply shortly.

Bone edema is usually a concern for stress fracture but you are saying that the edema was in the marrow? Do you happen to have an MRI report of this?

I do have it attaching it now.
Did you receive the MRI?
How long before I receive a reply please?

Sorry for the late reply but I received the MRI.

As I suspected, it shows the beginning of a stress fracture.

So it wouldn't be wise to run on it until the pain resolves.
Running is the most common cause of this sort of reaction as seen on your MRI.

Is there any treatment I can take for this?

No, stress fractures are repetitive injury events and staying off of it is all you can do.

Steroids would actually impede healing.

Please click on rating when you have a chance.

I hope I provided you with a 5-star service.

Doctor: Dr. Mo, Board Certified MD replied 7 months ago

Please let me know if I can clarify anything.

Otherwise I hope I provided you with a 5-star service.

Please click on the rating button when ready.

Dr. Mo