Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I took std tests 10 days ago and I got mostly negatives

Customer Question
I took std tests...

I took std tests 10 days ago and I got mostly negatives except my HSV-1 came back .91 and HSV-2 came back 1.55. the nurse said she hadn't sen that test before and because it's VA I won't be able to see my primary care for at least 3 weeks

Doctor's Assistant: What are all the symptoms you're experiencing (e.g. loss of appetite, fever, rash)?

Last week I felt slitch itching in my lips but it seems to be going away or maybe I am driving my head crazy and burining urination that lasted 3 days, it's gone now but I see no blisters but I had a small bump on my uretha after the burning stopped but it's gone away

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with the burning? Are you experiencing any other discomfort?

No the burning is gone and now all I feel is a slight tingling in my mouth but my lips have always been chapped/dry

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

No it's been 16 days since I was possibly exposed

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Medical
11/20/2017
Doctor: Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor replied 5 months ago
Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor

Hi, this is Dr Phil, here to assist you. I am Board Certified with over 10 years of experience. I will respond with my answer shortly. Thank you.

so you have never had a genital outbreak?

no sir. I saw what looked like a small pimple on the edge of mu uretha but it was there less than a day and it was barley a wrinkle and though I had tingling in my lips no cold sores. I had sex with some one I now believe has the virus. I wore a condom during intercourse. but she kissed me on the mouth and initiated oral with no condom..which I promptly stopped.
hello doc are you still there?
Doctor: Dr. David, Board Certified Physician replied 5 months ago
Dr. David, Board Certified Physician

This is Dr. David

for HSV or herpes virus, there is usually IgG and IgM virus titer levels.

elevated IgG levels can be a sign of prior exposure and your body has produced antibodies to this virus

elevated IgM levels can mean you have an active infection.

.91 and 1.55 are not very high IgG or IgM levels.

slight itching of the lip usually is not a sign of herpes

let me know if you have questions.

I got tested 5 days after possible exposure. For 3 days I felt burning/itching during urination but it went away. 2 days ago I noticed a blemish right outside of my uretha (only one) no puss but I dont see a scab Either it just looks like a tiny elevated dark spot. Its been 17 days since exposure and I have no cold sores on mouth or large pattern blisters on my genitals.

I see. sounds like you are worried about herpes.

to get proper herpes blood testing, you really have to wait about 3-6 months after exposure for your body to produce IgG antibodies to the herpes virus

these symptoms you are mentioning are too subtle to be from herpes.

you shouldn't be waiting for cold sores.

this will only worsen your anxiety symptoms.

Ok, it was a veterans clinic I spoke with. I had to call them they never called me about my blood test results. I went to the er because of the itching in my lips. He said he had never sen a test like it before where the HSV2 read 1.55 and the HSV1 read .91. On the first test he told me it said "High". He told me that cold sores their ugly head after a week...maybe two. I have been reading if you have it you get your first out break within two weeks. I am a nervous wreck right now.

no, you don't get your first outbreak in 2 weeks

1.55 is not that high for antibody testing.

IgG is elevated if you have had prior exposure

IgM is elevated if you have a current exposure. but is not very accurate for HSV2 infections.

you most likely don't have herpes.

this itching is most likely due to dry lips and anxiety symptoms.

you should use some chap stick.

try not to stress out

Let me know if you have other questions.
If done for now, please leave Positive Rating of 5 stars so I can get credit for helping you today.
We only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback. (You may have to scroll up or down to see the ratings area)
You can always reach me directly with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have other questions.
Here is my website if you need to reach me:
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/
Thanks for using JustAnswers.com

ok I have one last question, If I am positive how long until I can expect an outbreak and wouldn't that blemish qualify as an out break it's about the size of the very tip of a 2 pencil and I tested negative for Ghonorrea and chylmidia so it doesn't explain the pain in my penis and the buring that lasted for 3 days and ended about 4 days ago. You will get 5 stars from me, sorry to be a bother.

some people can go years and decades without an outbreak of herpes type 1 or 2

it depends on your immune system

if you have a good immune system, the virus can be suppressed for years.

blemish is not an outbreak

these viruses cause a painful ulcer on the lip or tongue or gum area for several days.

not drinking enough water, drinking alcohol or caffeine, passing a small kidney stone can cause pain in the penis and burning.

thank you Dr.David I will try not to worry

you are welcome

don't forget to leave positive feedback

thanks for using JustAnswer.com

Dr. David, Board Certified Physician