Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

My mother has an MRI scheduled soon. I don't think the

My mother has an MRI...
My mother has an MRI scheduled soon. I don't think the doctors know what's wrong. My aunt believes she has Primary Orthostatic Tremors - her symptoms do not align with this. I think she has a growing anxiety... In the MRI will it show her fear network as elevated - even if they don't show her pictures of stairs and cracked sidewalks? will they just assume that she is nervous about being in the tube.
JA: How long have you been dealing with this? Is there anything in particular that seems to make the symptoms better or worse?
Customer: It's about 2 1/2 years now - when I saw her two years ago, she was cautiously walking on her own, but needed help getting up stairs. today she uses a walker and is highly anxious
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: lipitor, synthroid, zoloft.... assisted blind sister for years walking with her and taking on her cautionary walking pattern.
Customer reply replied 23 days ago
she told me less than two years ago that she thinks hear caution comes from walking with her sister.
But today she convinced she has OT - and she has convinced the doctors, who have been giving her antiepileptic medication - trying gabapentin now. feels dizzy all the time.
can CBT help her if she won't believe in it?
11/20/2017
Dr. Muneeb Ali

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. Im sorry to hear about your mother. Ill answer your questions one by one,

In the MRI will it show her fear network as elevated - even if they don't show her pictures of stairs and cracked sidewalks? will they just assume that she is nervous about being in the tube.

Actually a simple MRI wont show any particular regions of the brain as being lit up, be that the amgydala or the temporal lobe (the region where fear is processed) or any other region because a simple brain MRI does not show this at all. A simple brain MRI would show the structure of the brain and any abnormal lesions in it. The type of MRI that you are talking about is a functional MRI or fMRI, which is not commonly done and is used in specific situations only. Also this type of MRI is done in specialized machines which not all hospitals have. I think the MRi which they are doing right now will just show structural abnormalities in the brain if they are present that is.

CBT can help even if she does not believe that it is anxiety which is causing here symptoms. As long as the anxiety is the cause for her tremors etc then it can be treated with CBT. It is a vefry effective method for management of stress or anxiety. It may take longer for it to be effective but it can still help.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Dr. Muneeb Ali
Customer reply replied 23 days ago
Hi Dr Muneeb Ali,
If she had a functional MRI instead - would they be able to get both types of information from just the functional MRI?Would she have symptoms that would make the doctors think we should do an MRI or they just grasping...I know to Test for the OT it's some kind of electrical test that has to be done - that she doesn't want to do, because they already FEEL like she has OTI guess I'm just wondering if I would be able to convince them to do a functional MRI instead of a regular MRI if they don't have a solid reason for doing a regular MRI

A functional MRI is very specific and i dont believe it is indicated here at the moment

The tremors alone are an indication for getting an MRi done as that will help exclude problems with the basal ganglia and other regions of the brain which can cause tremors

A functional MRI should NOT be done only to see if she has anxiety or not, it is unnecessary test and even after getting it, it would not be a 100% diagnostic for anxiety. A clinical examination and historyt is almost equally sensitive for diagnosing anxiety.

Customer reply replied 22 days ago
Okay - Awesome - thank you very much!!!
You are welcome
Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor