Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have a small diverticulits and sometimes have problems…

Customer Question
Hi, i have a...

Hi, i have a small diverticulits and sometimes have problems passingmotions, Can usuallymanage by pushing ans prodding but does not seem to be working tonight

Doctor's Assistant: What are all the symptoms you're experiencing (e.g. loss of appetite, fever, rash)?

None at all apart from that

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Once had a colonoscopy but apart from a small diverticulitae they found nothing

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Medical
11/20/2017
Doctor: Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor replied 8 months ago
Dr. Muneeb Ali

welcome to JA and thanks for this question. Im sorry to hear about your symptoms. Sometimes constipation can occur with diverticulosis and this can be managed with the help of simple measures which can include increased intake of fiber, use of fiber supplements like benefiber and metamucil, increased use of plain water which acts as a lubricant and helps in the passage of stool. if these simple measures dont help then you can use any of the following over the counter products such as,

OTC docusate which is a stool softener

OTC magnesium citrate

OTC miralax

OTC glycerine suppositries which can be inserted into the rectum to help in severe cases.

If these dont help then a kleen enema can be used but i would suggest that you try using the fluids and fiber supplements along with the stool softener.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/