Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

About a month ago I was diagnosed with "acute mono". I was…

Customer Question
About a month ago...

About a month ago I was diagnosed with "acute mono". I was very tired and had a sore throat and chest congestion for a few weeks (late September to early October) and I felt a bit better after my dose of steroids but I've still felt on and off with being sick and well. My left lymph node has been very swollen for about 2 weeks now and it's really been concerning me that I may have something more than just mono now. I have been sexually active with more than one partner recently and I've been googling a few of my symptoms and I'm worried I may have an STD or worse HIV. My symptoms are pain during intercourse, sore throat/swollen lymph nodes, fatigue, itching, swollen genitals/smell, and I have a sore on my tongue (although im not sure if that from burning it on my food). Is there anything you can tell me based on my symptoms and what should I do when I go to the doctors office? Thanks, Mary.

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you had the symptoms? Do you have a fever?

The recent symptoms about 2-3 weeks now. I dont have a fever.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I have migraines, and I am taking Lamictal, Prazosin, and Topamax at the moment.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Medical
11/20/2017
Doctor: Dr. Ravoof, Doctor replied 8 months ago
Dr. Ravoof
Dr. Ravoof, Doctor

Dear customer,

Thank you for the question.

Do you have urinary symptoms such as burning pain? Do you have vaginal discharge? Do you have lymph node swelling only in one location?

Dear customer,

Thank you for the question.

Some of your symptoms such as pain during intercourse and swollen genitals/smell can be due to an infection such as gonorrhea or chlamydia. There is also the possibility of bacterial vaginosis which is not an STD but is more common when there is unprotected sex. However, there is no alarming symptom for HIV. HIV will cause multiple lymph nodes to enlarge in different locations in the body and not just at one location. Your enlarged lymph node is due to MONO and will resolve and disappear in a few months. You should not be worried about HIV. You should do a pap smear test and also tests for chlamydia/gonorrhea. These will be sufficient. If any test is positive then it can easily be treated with an antibiotic and you will be cured leading to resolution of your symptoms.

Take care.

Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.
Please rate the answer with 5-stars, by clicking the 5-stars above with your mouse (or with your finger on a mobile device).
It will be very generous of you to also consider a bonus.
Thank you!

Dear customer,
Were you able to read my answer?
Did I answer your question? Please reply.
Thank you.

Doctor: Dr. Ravoof, Doctor replied 7 months ago

Dear customer,
Thank you!