Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have extremely thick mucous in my mouth and throat that I…

Customer Question
I have extremely thick...

I have extremely thick mucous in my mouth and throat that I have to swallow all the time. It is very distressing and causes me to not be able to sleep very well. I also have lost the exit motility of my bowel. I have the urge to go and will have to push for all I'm worth to make it come out even when keeping my stool very soft. I have caused facial and nerve damage or something as my teeth chatter, lips and tongue constantly move. my muscles throughout my whole body are extremely sore 24/7 and I just ache. I feel like my body is constantly moving. I was on antidepressants for 3 yrs. off one yr. now. Had lost down to 97 lbs. (40 lb. loss). Could that be the cause for all my problems now? What should I do? Anything at all? I am so miserable. They tell me it is all in my head and I'm psychosomatic. I dislike that. Am under a lot of stress daily. Thank you!

Doctor's Assistant: Is the condition chronic, or acute?

Both

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Can't think off hand. How do I receive a response from you?

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Medical
11/20/2017
Doctor: Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor replied 5 months ago

Welcome to Just Answer.
Answers here are for education and information.
I will respond shortly with an answer, or further information request.

What is your age and gender?

What are the investigations done?

Do you have fatigue, tiredness, bloating, acid reflux, heartburn?

female age 62. Have had complete medical workup except for colonoscopy which to me, seems unnecessary. MRI of head, neck, and back. Very tired cause of lack of sleep of only 3-4 hrs per night. They say it is all in my head. Some bloating but not bad, some reflux, no heartburn.

Hello Ruth,

Thanks for the additional information. I am writing the answer for you and will get back to you in 4-5 minutes. If you get a phone call request, you may ignore it as that is an automated site trigger. Thank you.

I don't care to call as I have spent enough money on medical things and want to do this for info without paying out the nose, so to speak.

Apologies for any intrusion of those automatic offers for phone calls. These are produced by the website automatically and outside of my control.

Your symptoms are suggestive of;

1) Parathyroid disorder

2) Thyroid disorder.

You may need above hormonal evaluation if not already done.

The other causes to consider would be:

Connective tissue diseases

Chronic anemia

Neoplastic disease

Chronic infections like Epstein Barr virus

Endocrine diseases (Addison disease).

Chronic fatigue syndrome

Myasthenia Gravis.

You would need following investigations:

Complete blood count (CBC)

Liver function tests

Thyroid function tests

Erythrocyte sedimentation rate (ESR)

Serum electrolyte level measurement

Immunoglobulin M (IgM)/immunoglobulin G (IgG) coxsackievirus B titer

IgM/IgG human herpesvirus 6 (HHV-6) titer

IgM/IgG C pneumoniae titer

Autoimmune panel

Anemia panel.

Other causes of fatigue;

Physiological

Rest and sleep, inadequate or excessive

Diet, excessive or inadequate intake

Environmental factors like heat

Hormonal factors

Neurologic (myasthenia gravis)

Endocrine-metabolic (hypothyroidism)

Infectious (infectious mononucleosis)

Musculoskeletal (rheumatoid arthritis)

Hematologic (iron deficiency anemia)

Cardiac (heart failure)

Inflammatory (e.g., Crohn's disease)

Miscellaneous (medication, nutritional deficiencies,)

You may consider following also;

1) Recurring episodes of weakness should raise the question of periodic paralysis.

2) Weakness exacerbated by effort and relieved by rest is characteristic of myasthenia gravis.

3) Proximal muscle weakness suggests a myopathy, whereas distal muscle weakness is more consistent with a peripheral neuropathy or pyramidal tract disorder. Myopathy would be detected by a blood test creatinine kinase.

4) Recurring episodes of apprehension, tremulousness, and palpitations are seen with generalized anxiety.

5) Weakness or fatigue that occur only after work, fasting, or insufficient sleep are most likely explained by normal physiologic mechanisms.

6) All prescription and over-the-counter medications should be considered. Frequently used medications such as antihypertensives, sedative-hypnotics, antidepressants, tranquilizers, and antihistamines are common causes of fatigue.

" I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!”.

Is there any idea whether I could possibly get the motility back and nerve damage heal?? I have gained 22 lbs. of those lost. Would good nutrition over time heal things? I have had so much blood work done and it all comes back good. Thyroid done, etc. Am told my adrenals are shot. Do say I had an excess amt. of B12 in my blood of up to 2000 and should have been in the 800s, I think.

For bowel motility; ask your physician to get the following investigations;

1) defecography,

2) pelvic MRI

3) nerve-conducting velocities and needle-electromyographic studies are used to help evaluate compression or entrapment neuropathy and pelvic floor function.

The treatment is following;

1) electrogalvanic stimulation,

2) biofeedback training,

3) digital massage of the levator ani muscles

4) sacral nerve stimulation

5) physical therapy for the pelvic floor muscles.

For your pain; you may consider acupuncture.

Assessment of parathyroid and adrenal would be prudent.

It is privilege assisting you.

Was this information helpful to you? I would be glad to answer any further questions.

It is privilege assisting you.

Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.

Please consider a positive 5 star rating if this interaction has been satisfactory, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for the time and work. You are not charged again for giving a rating.

The rating button is on the left upper side of this thread.

You can continue to ask questions after positive feedback.

Thank you.

Wishing you all the very best in life.

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-rate-answer-hl

Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor