Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

Is it possible that a slight case of MRSA could cause

permanent weakness in the legs JA...
Is it possible that a slight case of MRSA could cause permanent weakness in the legs
JA: What seems to make the symptoms worse or better? Have you noticed any swelling?
Customer: No but two years ago I was hospitalized for a week with pneumonia. I was
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: in isolation because of MRSA. After months of physical therapy I still have to use a rollator walker to get around. I just thought today about the MRSA incident and wondered if it affected my miobility
11/20/2017

Welcome to Just Answer.
Answers here are for education and information.
I will respond shortly with an answer, or further information request.

What is your age and gender?

Were any investigations done for the weakness in the lower limbs?

Customer reply replied 21 days ago
I am 96 yr old female. There was no investigation. I also have heart disease and kidney disease
Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan, Consultant
Phone call session started

Thanks for the additional information. I am writing the answer for you and will get back to you in 4-5 minutes. If you get a phone call request, you may ignore it as that is an automated site trigger. Thank you.

Apologies for any intrusion of those automatic offers for phone calls. These are produced by the website automatically and outside of my control.

MRSA is rare to cause weakness in limbs.

You need following to investigate the persistent weakness;

1) MRI of the spine.

2) Electromyography

3) Nerve conduction velocity study

4 Creatinine kinase a muscle enzyme.

You may consider following also;

1) Recurring episodes of weakness should raise the question of periodic paralysis.

2) Weakness exacerbated by effort and relieved by rest is characteristic of myasthenia gravis.

3) Proximal muscle weakness suggests a myopathy, whereas distal muscle weakness is more consistent with a peripheral neuropathy or pyramidal tract disorder. Myopathy would be detected by a blood test creatinine kinase.

4) Recurring episodes of apprehension, tremulousness, and palpitations are seen with generalized anxiety.

5) Weakness or fatigue that occur only after work, fasting, or insufficient sleep are most likely explained by normal physiologic mechanisms.

6) All prescription and over-the-counter medications should be considered. Frequently used medications such as antihypertensives, sedative-hypnotics, antidepressants, tranquilizers, and antihistamines are common causes of fatigue.

Customer reply replied 21 days ago
I never got a phone call from a doctor. Esther Sakakini

Hello Esther Sakakini,

You may contact customer support which is round the clock service.

Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor