Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

My mother vocalizes a lot and it's very depressing...Not…

Customer Question
My mother vocalizes a...

My mother vocalizes a lot and it's very depressing...Not sure what to do when this starts...Is there a mild medication that she can take when she's going through this...it seems to be some sort of anxiety.

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with this? Is there anything in particular that seems to make the symptoms better or worse?

It has been going on for a while...perhaps a couple of months. It is not constant thankfully but when it starts it goes on for a long while. It is usually after some kind of anxiety causing event or deep boredom.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

My mother broke her hip last year and is very anxious about falling...she has never managed to regain walking, although she can with a walker she usually stays in her wheelchair. She was diagnosis as bioplar a few years ago.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Medical
11/19/2017
Doctor: Dr. Mo, Board Certified MD replied 8 months ago
Dr. Mo
Dr. Mo, Board Certified MD

Hi, Dr. Mo here with JA. Please let me review the information and I'll reply shortly.

Does she do the vocalization more in her sleep or also when awake?

Is she coherent and conversive otherwise or is her mental capacity diminished?

She does this mainly when awake. She has been known to also do this in sleep. Yes her mental capacity has diminished. Especially, after her accident. She broke her hip about 1 year ago.

The verbalizations are signs of agitation. Is she perhaps on any medication that can provide her some relief from this? We try different medications such as SSRI's or benzodiazepines and even certain medications in the antipsychotic family such as seroquel. These can help a lot with the agitation and often given in very small doses.

She is bipolar and is taking seroquel already...Perhaps instead of taking the full dosage all at once (at night so she sleeps) perhaps we can try giving her a 25 ml tablet when she is agitated...Would that be a potential solution and if so how would best to deal with this? I really appreciate your responses and will also call you later (but with her now and don't want to call). What time zone are you in and when can call? Thanks, Melinda

Seroquel can be given on an as needed basis and if her doctor approves that method then it shouldn't be a problem. Her dosage is quite low so I don't see any reason why her doctor wouldn't be okay with that.

If this messaging works for you then it's good for me. If you still need a phone call for further help then I'm sure we can arrange that.

Actually she is not only on 25ml...She has a much larger dosage. What I meant was I could give her the 25ml tablet during the day and the rest at night...In any case I think this will require a longer conversation and will ask her doctor as well. Thanks and I will call you as well as message. Melinda

You're welcome.

Glad I could help.

I hope I provided you with a 5-star service.

Please let me know if I can expand on any of the information I have provided.

I hope I have provided you with a 5-star service.

Feel free to ask any follow up questions by returning to this question thread for free in the future.

Dr. Mo