Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I can't taste any food. They treated me for thrush but

Customer Question
I can't taste any...

I can't taste any food. They treated me for thrush but nothing has changed

Doctor's Assistant: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?

Yes, and the medication is nystatin.

Doctor's Assistant: What medications do you take daily? Are you allergic to any medications?

I haven't ta***** *****ged my medical regime

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Can't think of anything

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Medical
11/19/2017
Doctor: Dr. Sohaib, Doctor replied 5 months ago
Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib, Doctor

Hello and thank you for the question.
Answers given are for informational purposes only and are not meant to replace an exam by an in-person.
I am Dr. Sohaib, a practicing Internal Medicine Consultant and I will do my best to help you today.

Sorry to hear about your problem; I can understand how important the sense of taste and smell are in one's life.

The sense of taste and smell are intimately related to each other and usually the loss of one sensation results in loss of the other sensation as well, or at least affects it in some way.

Common causes for loss of taste include allergies/cold/flu, cigarette smoking, use of various drugs, vitamin B-12 and Zinc deficiency, nasal polyps and it can also be a part of normal aging process due to loss of taste buds...

You can see that loss of taste has many causes, and all of these need to be evaluated in detail and a clinical examination aided by various tests in mandatory to look for a possible pathology in the upper respiratory tract, which might possibly be the cause for these symptoms.

If you smoke, then you should start trying to quit it.

Vitamin B-12 and Zinc supplements might be helpful.

Add flavors to your diet.

Finally, if despite all the measures, the symptoms do not settle or improve, a detailed re-evaluation by your ENT will be required including imaging studies like CT scan of the sinuses to rule out any pathology.

If the problem is recent and you have just finished the medication for thrush, a watchful waiting for a week or two is recommended before you request further re-evaluation.

Good luck

My goal is to provide you with Excellent Service - if satisfied with the response, Please do not forget to Rate my service as this is the only way I get credit for my time and expertise on your question.
If you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.
Kindest Regards

Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib, Doctor