Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I am peeing blood. Some came out that looked like a red

Customer Question
I am peeing blood...

I am peeing blood. Some came out that looked like a red string. Is it something that I should go to a emergency room about, or wait until Monday to see my doctor?

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you had the symptoms? What seems to make the symptoms worse or better?

Yesterday and today. I didn’t think much about it yesterday but it happened today too.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Nothing about this concern. I am 65 years old

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Medical
11/19/2017
Doctor: Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor replied 8 months ago
Dr. Muneeb Ali

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. Im sorry to hear about your symptoms. Actually if the blood in the urine is increasing over time and does not seem to be settling down then you should get it evaluated either in the ER or in the urgent care center. The reason being that progressively increasing blood in the urine should ALWAYS be evaluated as soon as possible. The common causes for this would be an infection in the urinary tract or even in the bladder. It can also be due to stones in the bladder or the kidney as wel. The stringy substance is likely to be mucus which is mixed with blood and this can occur in infections as well as stones in some cases. Now if you are also on blood thinners like aspirin or clopidogrel or even drugs like warfarin etc then you should IMMEDIATELY proceed to the ER and get this evaluated.

But in short if you are experiencing worsening of the blood in the urine then you should have this evaluated in the Er with the help of an abdominal ultrasound and also with the help of urine analysis and cultures.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Would you like to know anything else? Any clarifications or additional questions that you might have, i would be happy to answer them for you. If done for now, please remember to leave a positive rating as that is the only way we are compensated for our time spent helping you. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the rating.