Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have recently had five chest films done within the last…

Customer Question
I have recently had...

I have recently had five chest films done within the last week and once I was informed I had a left rib fracture and then the next films showed close fracture of multiple ribs. I'm currently on Mobic Robaxin and Lidoderm patches

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with the issue? In general, how has your health been lately?

I'm not sleeping well at night I'm always in constant pain and always trying to lie down and try to rest I know there has to be something better to help with this discomfort

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I have type 2 diabetes hypertension PTSD bipolar 2 disorder and anxiety

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Medical
11/19/2017
Doctor: Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor replied 5 months ago
Dr. Muneeb Ali

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. Im sorry to hear about your symptoms. Actually if you have multiple fractures of the ribs then the best solution to manage the pain would be with the help of intercostal nerve blocks. These are injections which are given to block the nerves which supply the ribs, once these nerves are targeted then you will be pain free for a minimum of 8 hours. If this is not a viable option then an epidural catheter can be injected into the spinal region which can be used to counter the pain that you are experiencing. This can be used to administer a continuous infusion of bupivacaine.

Additionally stronger painkillers can be used such as percocet which would be more effective in controlling the pain. Along with this muscle relaxants can be used like flexeril and tinazidine which can help in controlling pain of this sort as well.

But i would suggest that you discuss intercostal nerve blocks with your doctor first of all which would be the most helpful here.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Would you like to know anything else? Any clarifications or additional questions that you might have, i would be happy to answer them for you. If done for now, please remember to leave a positive rating as that is the only way we are compensated for our time spent helping you. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the rating.

Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor