Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

My husband has had several weeks of incidents in which the…

Customer Question
My husband has had...

My husband has had several weeks of incidents in which the esophagus spasms, seemingly related to sinus drainage. This, in turn, causes spasms of the stomach muscles. He also has pulmonary fibrosis. Can you tell us what to do immediately to relieve him? He has an appointment tomorrow with an ENT specialist.

Doctor's Assistant: How long has this been bothering you? Are you experiencing any vomiting or nausea?

No vomiting nor nausea. This is my husband who is having the trouble. He has had at least one other incident several months ago, but it went away. Now, it is back but worse. He saw the Ent person a few weeks ago with a milder case of this and was treated with antibiotics. It seemed to go away, but now it is back but worse.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Nothing. He is 84 years old, and until now has had no medications and amazingly good health. The pulmonary fibrosis was diagnosed in May and was checked by the pulmonary specialist last month, and was no worse.

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Medical
11/19/2017
Doctor: Dr. Scott, Doctor replied 5 months ago
Dr. Scott, Doctor

Hi there,
I am Dr. Scott - it is my pleasure to assist you today.
Please give me a minute to review your question and type up an answer.
Please note that the answer provided is for information purpose only and does not substitute a Doctor - Patient Consultation in Clinic

Esophageal spasm can be worse with acid reflux and cold water.

In the meantime, while waiting for ENT evaluation, you can try tums for acid reflux and avoid cold water.

You can also try to get the sinus dry with antihistamines, neti pot, afrin, and warm shower.

Otherwise the treatment for esophageal spasm is based on nitrates, calcium channel blockers, sedatives, and anticholinergics. The relative efficacy of these medicines is not known.

Peppermint may also provide temporary symptomatic relief.

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!

Dr. Scott, Doctor