Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I ahve been taking antobiotics for almost a month and ended…

Customer Question
I ahve been taking...

I ahve been taking antobiotics for almost a month and ended last week. Now my stools are lack and tarry. Should I panic

Doctor's Assistant: What are all the symptoms you're experiencing (e.g. loss of appetite, fever, rash)?

None of those

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

COPD and hioght choresterol for which I take simvastatin

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Medical
11/19/2017
Doctor: Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor replied 9 months ago
Dr. Muneeb Ali

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. Im sorry to hear about your symptoms. Now from what you are describing it sounds like that you may have developed bleeding from the stomach which can occur after use of antibiotics for a prolonged period of time. Antibiotics can cause inflammation of the lining of the stomach which is known as a gastritis. it would cause mild amount of bleeding which can cause the stool to turn black. This can also be due to an ulcer in the stomach or the first opart of the intestine which is bleeding. Now black and tarry stools, as i said, are a sign of bleeding in the upper gastrointestinal tract. However there are other causes for the black tarry stools as well such as use of iron supplements, use of black berries, black licorice etc and if you have been using those then they can be the likely cause here.

However if you have NOT been using these things then you SHOULD get evaluated as soon as possible by visiting the ER or the urgent care center where they can run a few tests and also schedule an endoscopy. In the meantime start using OTC prilosec at a dose of 40 mg a day right away.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/