Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I am in a wheelchair due to a cerebral hemorrhage (1984)

Customer Question
I am in a...

I am in a wheelchair due to a cerebral hemorrhage (1984) with my right side affected (hemiparesis). For the past few days I have not been able to lay down due to putting my legs straight out. The only way I've been able to sleep is by staying in my wheelchair and by resting my head on a table or desk. My legs are hurting all the time.

Doctor's Assistant: What seems to make the symptoms worse or better? Have you noticed any swelling?

Putting my legs straight out makes it a lot worse. That is why I am staying in my wheelchair. No, I haven't seen any swelling.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

This is a brand new symptom.

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Medical
11/19/2017
Doctor: Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor replied 5 months ago
Dr. Muneeb Ali

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. Im sorry to hear about your symptoms. Actually pain which worsens on straightening of the legs can be due to a number of conditions. The first one which comes to mind is that you could have a problem in the lower back. Usually pain which worsens on straightening the legs and bringing them in line with the back can be an indication of spinal stenosis. This is a condition in which the spine is being compressed because of narrowing. This can lead to pain in one or both the legs along with numbness, tingling, sharp shooting or stabbing pains. It can occur due to disc prolapse among other causes. A MRI of the back along with a xray would be diagnostic and then this can be treated with painkillers, muscle relaxants, steroid injections into the back, physiotherapy, TENS therapy or even radiofrequency ablation.

Another cause of this could be due to a severe muscle spasm in the back or even in the legs. This can occur due to dehydration or an electrolyte imbalance. There are various other causes for this to occur as well. However the first step would be to increase the intake of plain water along with electrolyte rich fluids like gatorade. Additionally you can use OTC anti inflammatory medications like ibuprofen at a dose of 600 mg thrice daily. If that does not help then using muscle relaxants like flexeril or tinazidine would be helpful.

Lastly if these two conditions are ruled out then peripheral arterial disease can be considered as a possibility, this can cause pain and numbness. This occurs due to narrowing of the arteries in the legs and a doppler ultrasound of the legs would be diagnostic. Medications in mild cases are enough to manage the symptoms however more severe cases would need stent insertion.

I would suggest that you start using the home remedies but do get this evaluated if the symptoms persist for the next one to two days.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor